The general assembly finds and declares the following:
1. That net proceeds of lottery games conducted pursuant to this chapter should be transferred to the general fund of the state in support of a variety of programs and services.
Terms Used In Iowa Code 99G.2
- Authority: means the Iowa lottery authority. See Iowa Code 99G.3
- following: when used by way of reference to a chapter or other part of a statute mean the next preceding or next following chapter or other part. See Iowa Code 4.1
- Net proceeds: means all revenue derived from the sale of lottery tickets or shares and all other moneys derived from the lottery, less operating expenses. See Iowa Code 99G.3
- state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories, and the words "United States" may include the said district and territories. See Iowa Code 4.1
2. That lottery games are an entrepreneurial enterprise and that the state should create a public instrumentality of the state in the form of a nonprofit authority known as the Iowa lottery authority with comprehensive and extensive powers to operate a state lottery in an entrepreneurial and businesslike manner and which is accountable to the governor, the general assembly, and the people of the state through a system of audits, reports, legislative oversight, and thorough financial disclosure as required by this chapter.
3. That lottery games shall be operated and managed in a manner that provides continuing entertainment to the public, maximizes revenues, and ensures that the lottery is operated with integrity and dignity and free from political influence.