Terms Used In Kansas Statutes 60-605
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Personal property: includes money, goods, chattels, evidences of debt and things in action, and digital assets as defined in the revised uniform fiduciary access to digital assets act, K. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- Plaintiff: The person who files the complaint in a civil lawsuit.
- Property: includes personal and real property. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- Residence: means the place which is adopted by a person as the person's place of habitation and to which, whenever the person is absent, the person has the intention of returning. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- State: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- Venue: The geographical location in which a case is tried.
An action against a nonresident of this state, or against a corporation which is not qualified to do business in this state, other than an action for which venue is otherwise specifically prescribed by law, may be brought in the county in which:
(1) The plaintiff resides; or if the plaintiff is a corporation, in the county of its registered office or in which it maintains a place of business; or if the plaintiff is a partnership, either general or limited, in the county of the residence of a partner, in the county of the registered office of a corporate partner or in the county in which the partnership maintains a place of business;
(2) the defendant is served;
(3) the cause of action arose;
(4) the defendant is transacting business at the time of the filing of the petition;
(5) there is property of the defendant, or debts owing to the defendant;
(6) there is located tangible personal property which is the subject of an action for the possession thereof if immediate possession is sought in accordance with K.S.A. 60-1005 and amendments thereto at the time of the filing of the action; or
(7) equipment or facilities for use in the supply of transportation services, or communication services, including, without limitation, telephonic communication services, are located where the subject of such action relates to transportation services or communication services supplied or rendered, in whole or in part, using such equipment or facilities.