Terms Used In South Carolina Code > Title 15 > Chapter 7
- Administratrix: The female counterpart of an administrator. See also
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Department: means the South Carolina Department of Revenue. See South Carolina Code 12-28-110
- Destination state: means the state, territory, or foreign country to which motor fuel is directed for delivery into a storage facility, a receptacle, a container, or a type of transportation equipment for the purpose of resale or use. See South Carolina Code 12-28-110
- Diesel fuel: means a liquid, including biodiesel and a biodiesel blend that is commonly or commercially known or sold as a fuel that is suitable for use in a diesel-powered highway vehicle. See South Carolina Code 12-28-110
- Dyed diesel fuel: means diesel fuel that is required to be dyed under United States Environmental Protection Agency and Internal Revenue Service rules or pursuant to other requirements subsequently set by the agency or service including any invisible marker requirements. See South Carolina Code 12-28-110
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Executor: A male person named in a will to carry out the decedent
- Executrix: The female counterpart of an executor. See also
- Export: means to obtain motor fuel in this State for sale or other distribution in another state. See South Carolina Code 12-28-110
- Foreclosure: A legal process in which property that is collateral or security for a loan may be sold to help repay the loan when the loan is in default. Source: OCC
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- Import: means to bring motor fuel into this State for sale, use, or storage by any means of conveyance other than in the fuel supply tank of a motor vehicle. See South Carolina Code 12-28-110
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Mortgage: The written agreement pledging property to a creditor as collateral for a loan.
- Motor fuel: means gasoline, diesel fuel, substitute fuel, renewable fuel, alternative fuel, and blended fuel. See South Carolina Code 12-28-110
- Motor fuel subject to the user fee: means gasoline, diesel fuel, kerosene, blended fuel, substitute fuel, alternative fuel and blends of them and any other substance blended with them. See South Carolina Code 12-28-110
- Motor fuel transporter: means a person who transports motor fuel by transport truck or railroad tank car. See South Carolina Code 12-28-110
- Motor vehicle: means a vehicle that is propelled by an internal combustion engine or motor and is designed to permit the vehicle's mobile use on highways. See South Carolina Code 12-28-110
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Permissive supplier: means a person who does not meet the geographic jurisdictional connections to this State required of a supplier as defined in Section 12-28-920(A), but who:
(a) is a position holder in a federally qualified terminal located outside this State; or
(b) acquires a product in out-of-state terminals from a position holder in a transaction that otherwise qualifies as a two-party exchange under Section 12-28-110(63); and under this subitem and subitem (a);
(c) is registered under Section 4101 of the Internal Revenue Code for transactions in taxable motor fuels in the bulk transfer/terminal distribution system. See South Carolina Code 12-28-110
- Person: means a natural person, a partnership, a firm, an association, a corporation, a representative appointed by a court, the State, a political subdivision or any other entity, group, or syndicate. See South Carolina Code 12-28-110
- personal property: as used in this Title , include money, goods, chattels, things in action and evidences of debt. See South Carolina Code 15-1-40
- Plaintiff: The person who files the complaint in a civil lawsuit.
- Pleadings: Written statements of the parties in a civil case of their positions. In the federal courts, the principal pleadings are the complaint and the answer.
- property: as used in this Title , includes both real and personal property. See South Carolina Code 15-1-50
- Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land.
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- Supplier: means a person who meets all the following conditions:
(i) is subject to the general taxing jurisdiction of this State;
(ii) is registered under Section 4101 of the Internal Revenue Code for transactions in taxable motor fuels in the bulk transfer/terminal distribution system; and
(iii) is one of the following:
1. See South Carolina Code 12-28-110
- Tank wagon: means a straight truck having multiple compartments designed or used to carry liquid motor fuel. See South Carolina Code 12-28-110
- Terminal: is a storage and distribution facility for motor fuel subject to the user fee, supplied by pipeline or marine vessel, which has been registered as a qualified terminal by the Internal Revenue Service. See South Carolina Code 12-28-110
- Terminal operator: is a person who owns, operates, or otherwise controls a terminal and does not use a substantial portion of the motor fuel subject to the user fee that is transferred through or stored in the terminal for its own use. See South Carolina Code 12-28-110
- Testator: A male person who leaves a will at death.
- Transport truck: means a semitrailer or trailer combination rig designed or used to transport liquid motor fuel over the highways. See South Carolina Code 12-28-110
- Transporter: means a person engaged in the business of transporting motor fuels subject to the user fee. See South Carolina Code 12-28-110
- Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence.
- User fees: Fees charged to users of goods or services provided by the government. In levying or authorizing these fees, the legislature determines whether the revenue should go into the treasury or should be available to the agency providing the goods or services.
- Venue: The geographical location in which a case is tried.