It shall be the duty of the secretary to:
(a) Establish a statewide system of milk inspection and regulatory services to insure, by means of uniform inspection and sampling procedures, that all milk and milk products sold in this state at retail to the final consumer, except on-farm retail sales of milk or milk products, shall attain the standard of grade A pasteurized. The secretary may contract with the governing body of any county or incorporated city, or both, for the provision of milk inspection and regulatory services, and compensation shall be made by the secretary for the furnishing of these services;
Terms Used In Kansas Statutes 65-773
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Dairy products: means products which may be made from milk or cream for manufacturing purposes and which are not required to meet grade A standards, including butter, cheese, dry whole milk, nonfat dry milk, dry buttermilk, dry whey, evaporated milk, whole or skim, condensed whole milk, condensed skim milk, sweetened or plain, frozen dairy dessert, and frozen dairy dessert mixes and such other products as may be otherwise designated by rules and regulations. See Kansas Statutes 65-771
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Milk: means the lacteal secretion, practically free from colostrum, obtained by the complete milking of one or more healthy cows. See Kansas Statutes 65-771
- Milk inspection and regulatory services: means the inspection, sampling, laboratory testing and the administrative procedures relating thereto, necessary to determine that the production, processing, distribution and sale of grade A milk, milk products, and dairy products comply with the requirements of this act and any rules and regulations adopted hereunder. See Kansas Statutes 65-771
- Milk products: means cream, light cream, light whipping cream, heavy cream, heavy whipping cream, whipped cream, whipped light cream, sour cream, acidified sour cream, cultured sour cream, half-and-half, sour half-and-half, acidified sour half-and-half, cultured sour half-and-half, reconstituted or recombined milk and milk products, concentrated milk, concentrated milk products, nonfat skim milk, reduced fat or lowfat milk, frozen milk concentrate, eggnog, buttermilk, cultured milk, cultured reduced fat or lowfat milk, cultured nonfat skim milk, yogurt, lowfat yogurt, nonfat yogurt, acidified milk, acidified reduced fat or lowfat milk, acidified nonfat skim milk, low-sodium milk, low-sodium reduced fat or lowfat milk, low-sodium nonfat skim milk, lactose-reduced milk, lactose-reduced reduced fat or lowfat milk, lactose-reduced nonfat skim milk, aseptically processed and packaged milk and milk products, milk, reduced fat or lowfat milk or nonfat skim milk with added safe and suitable microbial organisms and any other milk product made by the addition or subtraction of milkfat or addition of safe and suitable optional ingredients for protein, vitamin or mineral fortification of milk products defined herein. See Kansas Statutes 65-771
- On-farm retail sales of milk or milk products: means the sale of milk or milk products on the farm by the producer from the production of the dairy herd to the final consumer, so long as the person making such sales does not promote the sale of milk or milk products to the public in any manner other than by the erection of a sign upon the premises of the dairy farm. See Kansas Statutes 65-771
- Secretary: means the secretary of the Kansas department of agriculture, or the secretary's designee. See Kansas Statutes 65-771
- State: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
(b) inspect or cause to be inspected, as often as may be deemed practicable, all businesses licensed pursuant to this act and any other places where milk, milk products or dairy products are produced, manufactured, kept, handled, stored or sold within the state. The secretary may enter any business licensed under this act during regular business hours or any other hours during which business is in operation or any other place where any milk, milk products or dairy products are manufactured, produced, stored, sold or kept for sale or transportation, for the purpose of performing official duties under this act;
(c) prohibit the production and sale of adulterated or misbranded milk, milk products or dairy products;
(d) seize and condemn for food purposes all unclean, adulterated or misbranded milk, milk products or dairy products wherever such milk, milk products or dairy products may be found; and
(e) take or cause to be taken samples of milk, milk products or dairy products and cause the same to be analyzed or tested according to such methods as shall be prescribed by rules and regulations. Such test or analyses shall conform to methods of the association of official analytical chemists or any other such similar organization as determined by the secretary. Such analyses or tests shall be preserved and recorded as evidence, and the certificate of such test, when sworn to by the analyst, shall be admitted in evidence in all prosecutions that may result under the operation of this act.