Terms Used In Kansas Statutes > Chapter 65 > Article 18
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- Board: means the Kansas board of barbering;
(b) "administrative officer" means the administrative officer of the board;
(c) "license" means a license entitling the person to whom issued to practice barbering, or to operate a barber school, barber college or barber shop;
(d) "barber shop" means any place, shop or establishment, wherein the practice of barbering is engaged in or carried on;
(e) "barber school" or "barber college" means any place or establishment wherein the practice, fundamentals, theories or practical applications of barbering are taught;
(f) "barbering" means any one or any combinations of the following practices (when done upon the upper part of the human body for cosmetic purposes and not for the purpose of diseases or physical or mental ailments, and when done for payment, either directly or indirectly, or without payment, for the public generally, upon male or female): Shaving or trimming the beard or cutting the hair; giving facial or scalp massages or treatments with oils, creams, lotions or other preparations, either by hand or mechanical appliances, singeing, shampooing or dyeing, arranging, perming or waving the hair, or applying tonics; applying cosmetic preparations, antiseptic powders, oils, clays, or lotions to the scalp, face, neck or upper part of the body. See Kansas Statutes 65-1809
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Injunction: An order of the court prohibiting (or compelling) the performance of a specific act to prevent irreparable damage or injury.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- State: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- Subpoena: A command to a witness to appear and give testimony.
- Testimony: Evidence presented orally by witnesses during trials or before grand juries.