Terms Used In Kansas Statutes > Chapter 75 > Article 7b
- Answer: The formal written statement by a defendant responding to a civil complaint and setting forth the grounds for defense.
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- Client: means any person who engages the services of a private detective. See Kansas Statutes 75-7b01
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Dependent: A person dependent for support upon another.
- Deposition: An oral statement made before an officer authorized by law to administer oaths. Such statements are often taken to examine potential witnesses, to obtain discovery, or to be used later in trial.
- Detective business: means the furnishing of, making of or agreeing to make any investigation for the purpose of obtaining information with reference to:
(1) Crime or wrongs done or threatened against the United States or any state or territory of the United States, or any political subdivision thereof when furnished or made by persons other than law enforcement officers;
(2) the identity, habits, conduct, business, occupation, honesty, integrity, credibility, knowledge, trustworthiness, efficiency, loyalty, activity, movement, whereabouts, affiliations, associations, transactions, acts, reputation or character of any person;
(3) the location, disposition or recovery of lost or stolen property;
(4) the cause or responsibility for fires, libels, losses, frauds, accidents or damage or injury to persons or to property; or
(5) securing evidence to be used before any court, board, officer or investigating committee. See Kansas Statutes 75-7b01
- Discovery: Lawyers' examination, before trial, of facts and documents in possession of the opponents to help the lawyers prepare for trial.
- Dishonesty or fraud: means , in addition to other acts not specifically enumerated herein:
(1) Knowingly making a false statement relating to evidence or information obtained in the course of employment, or knowingly publishing a slander or a libel in the course of business;
(2) using illegal means in the collection or attempted collection of a debt or obligation;
(3) manufacturing or producing any false evidence; and
(4) acceptance of employment adverse to a client or former client relating to a matter with respect to which the licensee has obtained confidential information by reason of or in the course of the licensee's employment by such client or former client. See Kansas Statutes 75-7b01
- Embezzlement: In most states, embezzlement is defined as theft/larceny of assets (money or property) by a person in a position of trust or responsibility over those assets. Embezzlement typically occurs in the employment and corporate settings. Source: OCC
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Firearm: means :
(1) A pistol or revolver which is designed to be fired by the use of a single hand and which is designed to fire or capable of firing fixed cartridge ammunition; or
(2) any other weapon which will or is designed to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive and which is designed to be fired by the use of a single hand. See Kansas Statutes 75-7b01
- Firearm permit: means a permit for the limited authority to carry a firearm concealed on or about the person by one licensed as a private detective. See Kansas Statutes 75-7b01
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- Injunction: An order of the court prohibiting (or compelling) the performance of a specific act to prevent irreparable damage or injury.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Law enforcement officer: means a law enforcement officer as defined in K. See Kansas Statutes 75-7b01
- Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt.
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Mortgage: The written agreement pledging property to a creditor as collateral for a loan.
- Mortgagee: The person to whom property is mortgaged and who has loaned the money.
- Nolo contendere: No contest-has the same effect as a plea of guilty, as far as the criminal sentence is concerned, but may not be considered as an admission of guilt for any other purpose.
- Oath: includes an affirmation in all cases where an affirmation may be substituted for an oath, and in similar cases "swear" includes affirm. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- Organization: means a corporation, trust, estate, partnership, cooperative or association. See Kansas Statutes 75-7b01
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Person: means an individual or organization. See Kansas Statutes 75-7b01
- Personal property: includes money, goods, chattels, evidences of debt and things in action, and digital assets as defined in the revised uniform fiduciary access to digital assets act, K. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- Plea: In a criminal case, the defendant's statement pleading "guilty" or "not guilty" in answer to the charges, a declaration made in open court.
- Private detective: means any person who, for any consideration whatsoever, engages in detective business. See Kansas Statutes 75-7b01
- Private detective agency: means a person who regularly employs any other person, other than an organization, to engage in detective business. See Kansas Statutes 75-7b01
- Private patrol operator: means a person who, for any consideration whatsoever, agrees to furnish or furnishes a watchman, guard, patrolman or other person to protect persons or property or to prevent the theft, unlawful taking, loss, embezzlement, misappropriation or concealment of any goods, wares, merchandise, money, bonds, stocks, notes, documents, papers or property of any kind, or performs the service of such watchman, guard, patrolman or other person for any such purposes. See Kansas Statutes 75-7b01
- Property: includes personal and real property. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- Prosecute: To charge someone with a crime. A prosecutor tries a criminal case on behalf of the government.
- Residence: means the place which is adopted by a person as the person's place of habitation and to which, whenever the person is absent, the person has the intention of returning. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- State: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories. See Kansas Statutes 77-201
- Subpoena: A command to a witness to appear and give testimony.
- Testimony: Evidence presented orally by witnesses during trials or before grand juries.
- Verdict: The decision of a petit jury or a judge.