Terms Used In Kentucky Statutes > Chapter 521
- Action: includes all proceedings in any court of this state. See Kentucky Statutes 446.010
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Pecuniary benefit: means benefit in the form of money, property, commercial interests or anything else the primary significance of which is economic gain. See Kentucky Statutes 521.010
- Public servant: means :
(a) Any public officer or employee of the state or of any political subdivision thereof or of any governmental instrumentality within the state. See Kentucky Statutes 521.010
- State: when applied to a part of the United States, includes territories, outlying possessions, and the District of Columbia. See Kentucky Statutes 446.010