Terms Used In Louisiana Revised Statutes 23:1
A. The Louisiana Workforce Commission is hereby created and established to operate an integrated workforce development delivery system in this state, in particular through the integration of job training, employment and employment-related education and training programs, vocational rehabilitation services, independent living services, and blind services programs, and to administer the state’s unemployment and workers’ compensation programs. The duties of this commission shall be exercised and discharged under the supervision and direction of the secretary. He shall have charge of the administration and enforcement of all laws, rules, policies, and regulations, which it is the duty of the commission to administer and enforce, and shall direct all inspections and investigations, except as otherwise provided by law.
B. The commission shall meet the needs of all of the following:
(1) The employers of this state for the development of a highly skilled and productive workforce.
(2) The workers of this state for education, skills training, and labor market information to enhance their employability, earnings, and standard of living.
(3) The people of this state for a smooth and effective transition into the workforce, particularly persons receiving public assistance, displaced homemakers, displaced workers, adults with limited literacy skills, individuals with disabilities, and students moving from school to work.
(4) The communities of this state for programs that create jobs, attract employers, and encourage business expansion and retention.
(5) The taxpayers of this state for the efficient and effective expenditure of tax revenues for workforce development.
(6) Individuals of this state with disabilities for vocational rehabilitation, independent living services, and blind services under the Rehabilitation Act and the Randolph-Sheppard Act.
C. As used in this Title, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise, the following terms shall be defined as follows:
(1) “Commission” means the Louisiana Workforce Commission.
(2) “Council” means the Louisiana Workforce Investment Council.
(3) “Secretary” means the secretary of the commission.
Acts 1983, 1st Ex. Sess., No. 1, §6; Acts 1989, No. 512, §1, eff. Jan. 1, 1990; Acts 1992, No. 447, §1, eff. June 20, 1992; Acts 2003, No. 933, §2; Acts 2008, No. 743, §2, eff. July 1, 2008; Acts 2010, No. 939, §2, eff. July 1, 2010; Acts 2018, No. 380, §1, eff. June 30, 2018.