Terms Used In Louisiana Revised Statutes 30:2574
- Department: means the Department of Environmental Quality. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 30:2004
- Manufacturer: means any person, firm, association, partnership, corporation, governmental entity, organization, combination, or joint venture which produces a mercury-added product or an importer or domestic distributor of a mercury-added product produced in a foreign country. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 30:2573
- Mercury-added product: means a product, commodity, chemical, or a product with a component that contains mercury or a mercury compound intentionally added to the product, commodity, chemical, or component in order to provide a specific characteristic, appearance, or quality or to perform a specific function or for any other reason. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 30:2573
A. Effective January 1, 2007, no mercury-added product shall be offered for final sale or use or distributed for promotional purposes in Louisiana without prior notification in writing by the manufacturer of the product to the Department of Environmental Quality in accordance with the requirements of this Section. The notification to the department shall at a minimum include:
(1) A brief description of the product to be offered for sale, use, or distribution.
(2) The amount of and purpose for mercury in each unit of the product.
(3) The total amount of mercury contained in all products manufactured by the manufacturer.
(4) The name and address of the manufacturer, and the name, address and phone number of a contact at the manufacturer.
(5) For purposes of complying with this Section, the manufacturer may submit to the Department of Environmental Quality copies of reports sent by the manufacturer to the Interstate Mercury Education and Reduction Clearinghouse (IMERC). At a minimum, copies of the reports shall contain the information listed in Paragraphs (1) through (4) of this Subsection. Any changes in the information contained in these reports shall be reported to the Department of Environmental Quality when those changes are reported to IMERC.
B. Any mercury-added product for which federal law governs notice in a manner that preempts state authority shall be exempt from the requirements of this Section.
C. With the approval of the Department of Environmental Quality, the manufacturer may supply the information required above for a product category rather than an individual product. The manufacturer shall update and revise the information in the notification whenever there is significant change in the information or when requested by the Department of Environmental Quality. The Department of Environmental Quality may define and adopt specific regulations in accordance with Louisiana Administrative Procedure Act for the content and submission of the required notification.
D. Public disclosure of confidential business information submitted to the Department of Environmental Quality pursuant to this Section shall be governed by the requirements of R.S. 30:2030. Notwithstanding the requirements of R.S. 30:2030, the state may provide the Interstate Mercury Education and Reduction Clearinghouse with copies of such information and the Department of Environmental Quality and the Interstate Mercury Education and Reduction Clearinghouse may compile or publish analyses or summaries of such information provided that the analyses or summaries do not identify any manufacturer or reveal any confidential information.
Acts 2006, No. 126, §1, eff. June 2, 2006.