Terms Used In Louisiana Revised Statutes 9:3143
- person: includes a body of persons, whether incorporated or not. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 33:2021
For purposes of this Chapter the following words, phrases, and terms shall be defined and construed as follows:
(1) “Builder” means any person, corporation, partnership, limited liability company, joint venture, or other entity which constructs a home, or addition thereto, including a home occupied initially by its builder as his residence. A person, corporation, partnership, limited liability company, joint venture, or other entity which constructs a home, or any addition thereto, is a “builder”, whether or not the consumer purchased the underlying real estate with the home.
(2) “Building standards” means the standards contained in the building code, mechanical-plumbing code, and electrical code in effect in the parish, city, or other local political subdivision where a home is to be located, at the time construction of that home is commenced, or, if the parish, city, or other local political subdivision has not adopted such codes, the Standard Building Code, together with any additional performance standards, if any, which the builder may undertake to be in compliance.
(3) “Home” means any new structure designed and used only for residential use, together with all attached and unattached structures, constructed by the builder whether or not the land was purchased from the builder. Such term includes structures containing multiple family dwellings or residences.
(4) “Initial purchaser” means any person for whom a home is built or the first person to whom a home is sold upon completion of construction.
(5) “Major structural defect” means any actual physical damage to the following designated load-bearing portions of a home caused by failure of the load-bearing portions which affects their load-bearing functions to the extent the home becomes unsafe, unsanitary, or is otherwise unlivable:
(a) Foundation systems and footings.
(f) Walls and partitions.
(g) Floor systems.
(h) Roof framing systems.
(6) “Owner” means the initial purchaser of a home and any of his successors in title, heirs, invitees, or assigns to a home during the time the warranties provided under this Chapter are in effect.
(7) “Warranty commencement date” means the date that legal title to a home is conveyed to its initial purchaser or the date the home is first occupied, whichever occurs first.
Acts 1986, No. 676, §1; Acts 1997, No. 987, §1; Acts 1999, No. 649, §1; Acts 2003, No. 333, §1.