Terms Used In Louisiana Revised Statutes > Title 30 > Subtitle II > Chapter 15-A > Part IV - Miscellaneous Provisions
- Abatement: means any set of measures as determined by the secretary designed to permanently eliminate lead hazards including:
(a) The removal of lead-based paint and lead-contaminated dust, the permanent containment or encapsulation of lead-based paint, the replacement of lead-painted surfaces or fixtures, and the removal or covering of lead-contaminated soil. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 30:2351.1
- Advice and consent: Under the Constitution, presidential nominations for executive and judicial posts take effect only when confirmed by the Senate, and international treaties become effective only when the Senate approves them by a two-thirds vote.
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- Candidate: means a person who seeks nomination or election to public office, except the office of president or vice president of the United States, presidential elector, delegate to a political party convention, United States senator, United States congressman, or political party office. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 18:1483
- Child-occupied facility: means a building or portion of a building or common area, other than the child's principal residence, constructed prior to 1978, and meeting one of the following:
(a) Is visited regularly by the same child, who is six years of age or younger, on at least two different days within any week, provided that each day's visit lasts at least three hours, that the combined weekly visits last at least six hours, and that the combined annual visits last at least sixty hours. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 30:2351.1
- Clerk of court: An officer appointed by the court to work with the chief judge in overseeing the court's administration, especially to assist in managing the flow of cases through the court and to maintain court records.
- committee: means two or more persons, other than a husband and wife, and any corporation organized for the primary purpose of supporting or opposing one or more candidates, propositions, recalls of a public officer, or political parties, which accepts contributions in the name of the committee, or makes expenditures from committee funds or in the name of the committee, or makes a transfer of funds to or receives a transfer of funds from another committee, or receives or makes loans in an aggregate amount in excess of five hundred dollars within any calendar year. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 18:1483
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Contribution: except as otherwise provided in this Chapter, means a gift, conveyance, payment, or deposit of money or anything of value, or the forgiveness of a loan or of a debt, made for the purpose of supporting, opposing, or otherwise influencing the nomination or election of a person to public office, for the purpose of supporting or opposing a proposition or question submitted to the voters, or for the purpose of supporting or opposing the recall of a public officer, whether made before or after the election. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 18:1483
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Department: means the Department of Environmental Quality. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 30:2351.1
- Dismissal: The dropping of a case by the judge without further consideration or hearing. Source:
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Facility: means a pollution source or any public or private property or facility where an activity is conducted which is required to be regulated under this Subtitle and which does or has the potential to do any of the following:
(a) Emit air contaminants into the atmosphere. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 30:2004
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Fund: means the "Lead Hazard Reduction Fund" created pursuant to this Chapter. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 30:2351.1
- Inspection: means :
(a) A surface-by-surface investigation to determine the presence of lead hazards. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 30:2351.1
- Inspector: means a person certified pursuant to the provisions of this Chapter who conducts inspections. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 30:2351.1
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Lead contractor: means any person employing workers engaged in lead hazard reduction activities and a self-employed individual who engages in lead hazard reduction activities. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 30:2351.1
- Lead hazard: means any condition that causes exposure to lead from lead-contaminated dust, lead-contaminated soil, or lead-contaminated paint that is deteriorated or present in accessible surfaces, friction surfaces, or impact surfaces that would result in adverse human health effects as established by the secretary; and shall include lead-based paint as defined by the Residential Lead-Based Paint Hazard Reduction Act of 1992. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 30:2351.1
- Lead hazard reduction activities: means the assessment of lead hazards, and the planning, implementation, and inspection of abatement activities, as determined by the secretary; and shall include lead-based paint activities as defined by the Residential Lead-Based Paint Hazard Reduction Act of 1992. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 30:2351.1
- License: means an authorization issued by the State Licensing Board for Contractors that allows a person to engage in certain lead hazard reduction activities. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 30:2351.1
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Mortgage: The written agreement pledging property to a creditor as collateral for a loan.
- person: includes a body of persons, whether incorporated or not. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 1:10
- Person: means any individual, business entity, governmental body, or other public or private entity including, to the extent not preempted by state or federal law or regulation, the federal government and its agencies. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 30:2351.1
- Prosecute: To charge someone with a crime. A prosecutor tries a criminal case on behalf of the government.
- Secretary: means the secretary of the Department of Environmental Quality. See Louisiana Revised Statutes 30:2351.1