(1) A local board shall be composed of 5 members who reside within the jurisdiction of the local board, and who represent to the maximum extent possible the socio-economic, racial, and ethnic groups residing within that jurisdiction. A local board may have 1 or more alternate members who serve when an appointed board member is unavailable.
(2) A local board member shall serve a renewable 3-year term. Of the initial members, 3 members shall serve for 3 years, and 2 members shall serve for 2 years.
Terms Used In Michigan Laws 722.135
- Child care organization: means a child caring institution or a child placing agency as defined in section 1 of Act No. See Michigan Laws 722.131
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Local board: means a local foster care review board created under section 4. See Michigan Laws 722.131
- person: may extend and be applied to bodies politic and corporate, as well as to individuals. See Michigan Laws 8.3l
- state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, shall be construed to extend to and include the District of Columbia and the several territories belonging to the United States; and the words "United States" shall be construed to include the district and territories. See Michigan Laws 8.3o
(3) A person employed by a child care organization, the family independence agency, or the court shall not be appointed to a local board.
(4) A local board shall elect 1 of its members to serve as chairperson and 1 to serve as vice-chairperson. Each shall serve for a term of 1 year.
(5) A local board shall meet at a place and time specified by the state court administrative office and approved by the chairperson of the local board.
(6) Each member of a local board shall attend an orientation training session and subsequent training sessions as required by the state court administrative office.
(7) The members of a local board shall serve without compensation. Reimbursement of expenses of members of the local board shall be in accordance with standard travel reimbursement rates established annually by the department of management and budget.
(8) A local board member may be removed for cause by the state court administrator.