Terms Used In Michigan Laws > Chapter 333 > Act 85 of 2016
- After-care assistance: means assistance provided by a lay caregiver to a patient following the patient's discharge from a hospital that is related to the patient's condition at the time of discharge. See Michigan Laws 333.26283
- Association: means an association registered under section 1930. See Michigan Laws 500.1903
- Attending physician: means that term as defined in section 20102 of the public health code, 1978 PA 368, MCL 333. See Michigan Laws 333.26283
- Chartered: means a risk retention group licensed and authorized to engage in business as a liability insurance company in a state. See Michigan Laws 500.1801
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Discharge: means a patient's exit or release from a hospital to the patient's residence following any medical care or treatment rendered to the patient following an inpatient admission. See Michigan Laws 333.26283
- Entry: means a patient's admission into a hospital for the purposes of receiving inpatient medical care. See Michigan Laws 333.26283
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- Hospital: means that term as defined in section 20106 of the public health code, 1978 PA 368, MCL 333. See Michigan Laws 333.26283
- Insurer: means an individual, corporation, association, partnership, reciprocal exchange, inter-insurer, Lloyds organization, fraternal benefit society, or other legal entity, engaged or attempting to engage in the business of making insurance or surety contracts. See Michigan Laws 500.106
- lay caregiver: means an individual 18 years of age or older designated as a caregiver by a patient under this act who voluntarily provides after-care assistance to a patient in the patient's residence. See Michigan Laws 333.26283
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- Patient advocate: means that term as described and used in section 5506 of the estates and protected individuals code, 1998 PA 386, MCL 700. See Michigan Laws 333.26283
- person: may extend and be applied to bodies politic and corporate, as well as to individuals. See Michigan Laws 8.3l
- Residence: means the dwelling that the patient considers to be his or her home. See Michigan Laws 333.26283
- Risk retention group: means a corporation or other limited liability association which meets all of the following criteria:
(i) Is either of the following:
(A) Chartered in a state. See Michigan Laws 500.1801
- State: means any state of the United States or the District of Columbia. See Michigan Laws 500.1801
- state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, shall be construed to extend to and include the District of Columbia and the several territories belonging to the United States; and the words "United States" shall be construed to include the district and territories. See Michigan Laws 8.3o
- Surplus lines insurance: means insurance in this state procured from or continued or renewed with an unauthorized insurer and includes all of the following, whether effected by mail or otherwise:
(i) Insurance for which applications are solicited from persons resident or located in this state. See Michigan Laws 500.1903