Terms Used In Michigan Laws > Chapter 333 > Act 85 of 2016 - Designated Caregiver Act
- After-care assistance: means assistance provided by a lay caregiver to a patient following the patient's discharge from a hospital that is related to the patient's condition at the time of discharge. See Michigan Laws 333.26283
- Annuity: A periodic (usually annual) payment of a fixed sum of money for either the life of the recipient or for a fixed number of years. A series of payments under a contract from an insurance company, a trust company, or an individual. Annuity payments are made at regular intervals over a period of more than one full year.
- Attending physician: means that term as defined in section 20102 of the public health code, 1978 PA 368, MCL 333. See Michigan Laws 333.26283
- Attorney-in-fact: A person who, acting as an agent, is given written authorization by another person to transact business for him (her) out of court.
- Commissioner: means the director. See Michigan Laws 500.102
- Continuance: Putting off of a hearing ot trial until a later time.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Director: means , unless the context clearly implies a different meaning, the director of the department. See Michigan Laws 500.102
- Discharge: means a patient's exit or release from a hospital to the patient's residence following any medical care or treatment rendered to the patient following an inpatient admission. See Michigan Laws 333.26283
- Entry: means a patient's admission into a hospital for the purposes of receiving inpatient medical care. See Michigan Laws 333.26283
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Grace period: The number of days you'll have to pay your bill for purchases in full without triggering a finance charge. Source: Federal Reserve
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- Hospital: means that term as defined in section 20106 of the public health code, 1978 PA 368, MCL 333. See Michigan Laws 333.26283
- Insurance: means any of the lines of authority in chapter 6. See Michigan Laws 500.1201
- Insurance producer: means a person required to be licensed under the laws of this state to sell, solicit, or negotiate insurance. See Michigan Laws 500.1201
- Insurer: means an individual, corporation, association, partnership, reciprocal exchange, inter-insurer, Lloyds organization, fraternal benefit society, or other legal entity, engaged or attempting to engage in the business of making insurance or surety contracts. See Michigan Laws 500.106
- lay caregiver: means an individual 18 years of age or older designated as a caregiver by a patient under this act who voluntarily provides after-care assistance to a patient in the patient's residence. See Michigan Laws 333.26283
- License: means a document issued by the director authorizing a person to act as an insurance producer for the qualifications specified in the document. See Michigan Laws 500.1201
- Limited line credit insurance: includes credit life, credit disability, credit property, credit unemployment, involuntary unemployment, mortgage life, mortgage guaranty, mortgage disability, guaranteed automobile protection insurance, and any other form of insurance offered in connection with an extension of credit that is limited to partially or wholly extinguishing that credit obligation that the director determines should be designated a form of limited line credit insurance. See Michigan Laws 500.1201
- Limited lines insurance: means any of the following:
(i) Marine insurance as defined in section 614. See Michigan Laws 500.1201
Mortgage: The written agreement pledging property to a creditor as collateral for a loan. Negotiate: means the act of conferring directly with or offering advice directly to a purchaser or prospective purchaser of a particular contract of insurance concerning any of the substantive benefits, terms, or conditions of the contract, if the person engaged in that act either sells insurance or obtains insurance from insurers for purchasers. See Michigan Laws 500.1201 Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period. Patient advocate: means that term as described and used in section 5506 of the estates and protected individuals code, 1998 PA 386, MCL 700. See Michigan Laws 333.26283 person: may extend and be applied to bodies politic and corporate, as well as to individuals. See Michigan Laws 8.3l Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed. Residence: means the dwelling that the patient considers to be his or her home. See Michigan Laws 333.26283 Sell: means to exchange a contract of insurance by any means, for money or its equivalent, on behalf of an insurance company. See Michigan Laws 500.1201 Solicit: means attempting to sell insurance or asking or urging a person to apply for a particular kind of insurance from a particular company. See Michigan Laws 500.1201 Subpoena: A command to a witness to appear and give testimony.