Terms Used In Michigan Laws > Chapter 752 > Act 183 of 2013 - Student Safety Act
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- Chambers: A judge's office.
- Department: means the department of state police. See Michigan Laws 752.912
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Freedom of Information Act: A federal law that mandates that all the records created and kept by federal agencies in the executive branch of government must be open for public inspection and copying. The only exceptions are those records that fall into one of nine exempted categories listed in the statute. Source: OCC
- Fund: means the student safety fund created in section 7. See Michigan Laws 752.912
- Hotline: means a statewide toll-free telephone number or other means of communication, or a combination of a toll-free telephone number and another means of communication, that transmits voice, text, photographic, and other messages and information to the department through the departmental website described in section 3(2). See Michigan Laws 752.912
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Oversight: Committee review of the activities of a Federal agency or program.
- person: may extend and be applied to bodies politic and corporate, as well as to individuals. See Michigan Laws 8.3l
- School: means a public, private, denominational, or parochial school offering developmental kindergarten, kindergarten, or any grade from 1 through 12, regardless of whether school is in session. See Michigan Laws 752.912
- School employee: means a full-time or part-time employee of a school, school district, or intermediate school district, including a school administrator, a volunteer with a school, school district, or intermediate school district, or any other individual who provides services to a school, school district, or intermediate school district while he or she is on school property. See Michigan Laws 752.912
- School property: means a building, playing field, or property used for school purposes to impart instruction to school students or used for school purposes, functions, and events, regardless of whether school is in session. See Michigan Laws 752.912
- seal: shall be construed to include any of the following:
(a) The impression of the seal on the paper alone. See Michigan Laws 8.3n
state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, shall be construed to extend to and include the District of Columbia and the several territories belonging to the United States; and the words "United States" shall be construed to include the district and territories. See Michigan Laws 8.3o Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence.