|Chapter 2||General Provisions|
Terms Used In Indiana Code > Title 35 > Article 49
- Arrest: Taking physical custody of a person by lawful authority.
- Bail: Security given for the release of a criminal defendant or witness from legal custody (usually in the form of money) to secure his/her appearance on the day and time appointed.
- Clerk: means the clerk of the court or a person authorized to perform the clerk's duties. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- IDACS coordinator: means an individual who holds an administrative position within a law enforcement agency that has operational Indiana data and communication system (IDACS) terminals and who is appointed by the director of the law enforcement agency. See Indiana Code 5-2-9-1.2
- law enforcement agency: means the department or agency of a city or town whose principal function is the apprehension of criminal offenders. See Indiana Code 5-2-9-1
- minor: means a person less than eighteen (18) years of age. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed.
- Property: includes personal and real property. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- protected person: means a person or an employer (as defined in IC 34-26-6-4) protected under a protective order, as defined in section 2. See Indiana Code 5-2-9-1.7
- protective order: means :
Indiana Code 5-2-9-2.1
- registry: means the Internet based registry of protective orders established under section 5. See Indiana Code 5-2-9-1.4
- Service of process: The service of writs or summonses to the appropriate party.
- Settlement: Parties to a lawsuit resolve their difference without having a trial. Settlements often involve the payment of compensation by one party in satisfaction of the other party's claims.
- sheriff: refers to a county sheriff. See Indiana Code 5-2-9-3
- Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence.
- United States: includes the District of Columbia and the commonwealths, possessions, states in free association with the United States, and the territories. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5