Terms Used In Minnesota Statutes > Chapter 168B - Abandoned Motor Vehicles; Towing
- Abandoned vehicle: means a motor vehicle, as defined in section 169. See Minnesota Statutes 168B.011
- Adult: means an individual 18 years of age or older. See Minnesota Statutes 645.451
- Advice and consent: Under the Constitution, presidential nominations for executive and judicial posts take effect only when confirmed by the Senate, and international treaties become effective only when the Senate approves them by a two-thirds vote.
- Agency: means the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency. See Minnesota Statutes 168B.011
- Annuity: A periodic (usually annual) payment of a fixed sum of money for either the life of the recipient or for a fixed number of years. A series of payments under a contract from an insurance company, a trust company, or an individual. Annuity payments are made at regular intervals over a period of more than one full year.
- Chair: includes chairman, chairwoman, and chairperson. See Minnesota Statutes 645.44
- children: includes children by birth or adoption;
(9) "day" comprises the time from midnight to the next midnight;
(10) "fiscal year" means the year by or for which accounts are reckoned;
(11) "hereafter" means a reference to the time after the time when the law containing such word takes effect;
(12) "heretofore" means a reference to the time previous to the time when the law containing such word takes effect;
(13) "judicial sale" means a sale conducted by an officer or person authorized for the purpose by some competent tribunal;
(14) "minor" means an individual under the age of 18 years;
(15) "money" means lawful money of the United States;
(16) "night time" means the time from sunset to sunrise;
(17) "non compos mentis" refers to an individual of unsound mind;
(18) "notary" means a notary public;
(19) "now" in any provision of a law referring to other laws in force, or to persons in office, or to any facts or circumstances as existing, relates to the laws in force, or to the persons in office, or to the facts or circumstances existing, respectively, on the effective date of such provision;
(20) "verified" when used in reference to writings, means supported by oath or affirmation. See Minnesota Statutes 645.45
- Committee membership: Legislators are assigned to specific committees by their party. Seniority, regional balance, and political philosophy are the most prominent factors in the committee assignment process.
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Continuance: Putting off of a hearing ot trial until a later time.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Department: means the Minnesota Department of Public Safety. See Minnesota Statutes 168B.011
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Fair market value: The price at which an asset would change hands in a transaction between a willing, informed buyer and a willing, informed seller.
- Gift: A voluntary transfer or conveyance of property without consideration, or for less than full and adequate consideration based on fair market value.
- Impound: means to take and hold a vehicle in legal custody. See Minnesota Statutes 168B.011
- Junk vehicle: means a vehicle that:
(1) is three years old or older;
(2) is extensively damaged, with the damage including such things as broken or missing wheels, motor, drive train, or transmission;
(3) is apparently inoperable;
(4) does not have a valid, current registration plate; and
(5) has an approximate fair market value equal only to the approximate value of the scrap in it. See Minnesota Statutes 168B.011
- Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt.
- Majority: means with respect to an individual the period of time after the individual reaches the age of 18. See Minnesota Statutes 645.451
- Motor vehicle waste: means solid waste and liquid wastes derived in the operation of or in the recycling of a motor vehicle, including such things as tires and used motor oil, but excluding scrap metal. See Minnesota Statutes 168B.011
- Nonpublic impound lot: means an impound lot that is not a public impound lot. See Minnesota Statutes 168B.011
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- Operator: includes an operator of a public or nonpublic impound lot, regardless of whether tow truck service is provided. See Minnesota Statutes 168B.011
- Person: may extend and be applied to bodies politic and corporate, and to partnerships and other unincorporated associations. See Minnesota Statutes 645.44
- Personal property: All property that is not real property.
- Probable cause: A reasonable ground for belief that the offender violated a specific law.
- Public impound lot: means an impound lot owned by or exclusively contracted solely for public use by a unit of government under section 168B. See Minnesota Statutes 168B.011
- Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business.
- Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.
- seal: includes an impression thereof upon the paper alone, as well as an impression on a wafer, wax, or other substance thereto attached. See Minnesota Statutes 645.44
- state: extends to and includes the District of Columbia and the several territories. See Minnesota Statutes 645.44
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- Tax: means any fee, charge, exaction, or assessment imposed by a governmental entity on an individual, person, entity, transaction, good, service, or other thing. See Minnesota Statutes 645.44
- towing vehicle: means a motor vehicle having a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of 8,000 pounds or more, equipped with a crane and winch, or an attached device used exclusively to transport vehicles, and further equipped to control the movement of the towed or transported vehicle. See Minnesota Statutes 168B.011
- Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence.
- Unauthorized vehicle: means a vehicle that is subject to removal and impoundment pursuant to section 168B. See Minnesota Statutes 168B.011
- Unit of government: includes a state department or agency, a special purpose district, and a county, statutory or home rule charter city, or town. See Minnesota Statutes 168B.011
- vehicle: has the meaning given motor vehicle in section 169. See Minnesota Statutes 168B.011
- Vital component parts: means those parts of a motor vehicle that are essential to the mechanical functioning of the vehicle, including such things as the motor, drive train, and wheels. See Minnesota Statutes 168B.011
- Writ: A formal written command, issued from the court, requiring the performance of a specific act.