Terms Used In Minnesota Statutes > Chapter 168B
- Abandoned vehicle: means a motor vehicle, as defined in section 169. See Minnesota Statutes 168B.011
- Adult: means an individual 18 years of age or older. See Minnesota Statutes 645.451
- Agency: means the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency. See Minnesota Statutes 168B.011
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- children: includes children by birth or adoption;
(9) "day" comprises the time from midnight to the next midnight;
(10) "fiscal year" means the year by or for which accounts are reckoned;
(11) "hereafter" means a reference to the time after the time when the law containing such word takes effect;
(12) "heretofore" means a reference to the time previous to the time when the law containing such word takes effect;
(13) "judicial sale" means a sale conducted by an officer or person authorized for the purpose by some competent tribunal;
(14) "minor" means an individual under the age of 18 years;
(15) "money" means lawful money of the United States;
(16) "night time" means the time from sunset to sunrise;
(17) "non compos mentis" refers to an individual of unsound mind;
(18) "notary" means a notary public;
(19) "now" in any provision of a law referring to other laws in force, or to persons in office, or to any facts or circumstances as existing, relates to the laws in force, or to the persons in office, or to the facts or circumstances existing, respectively, on the effective date of such provision;
(20) "verified" when used in reference to writings, means supported by oath or affirmation. See Minnesota Statutes 645.45
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Department: means the Minnesota Department of Public Safety. See Minnesota Statutes 168B.011
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Fair market value: The price at which an asset would change hands in a transaction between a willing, informed buyer and a willing, informed seller.
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Impound: means to take and hold a vehicle in legal custody. See Minnesota Statutes 168B.011
- Junk vehicle: means a vehicle that:
(1) is three years old or older;
(2) is extensively damaged, with the damage including such things as broken or missing wheels, motor, drive train, or transmission;
(3) is apparently inoperable;
(4) does not have a valid, current registration plate; and
(5) has an approximate fair market value equal only to the approximate value of the scrap in it. See Minnesota Statutes 168B.011
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt.
- Minority: means with respect to an individual the period of time during which the individual is a minor. See Minnesota Statutes 645.451
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Motor vehicle waste: means solid waste and liquid wastes derived in the operation of or in the recycling of a motor vehicle, including such things as tires and used motor oil, but excluding scrap metal. See Minnesota Statutes 168B.011
- Nonpublic impound lot: means an impound lot that is not a public impound lot. See Minnesota Statutes 168B.011
- Operator: includes an operator of a public or nonpublic impound lot, regardless of whether tow truck service is provided. See Minnesota Statutes 168B.011
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Person: may extend and be applied to bodies politic and corporate, and to partnerships and other unincorporated associations. See Minnesota Statutes 645.44
- Personal property: All property that is not real property.
- Probable cause: A reasonable ground for belief that the offender violated a specific law.
- Public impound lot: means an impound lot owned by or exclusively contracted solely for public use by a unit of government under section 168B. See Minnesota Statutes 168B.011
- Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land.
- Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.
- state: extends to and includes the District of Columbia and the several territories. See Minnesota Statutes 645.44
- Tax: means any fee, charge, exaction, or assessment imposed by a governmental entity on an individual, person, entity, transaction, good, service, or other thing. See Minnesota Statutes 645.44
- towing vehicle: means a motor vehicle having a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of 8,000 pounds or more, equipped with a crane and winch, or an attached device used exclusively to transport vehicles, and further equipped to control the movement of the towed or transported vehicle. See Minnesota Statutes 168B.011
- Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence.
- Unauthorized vehicle: means a vehicle that is subject to removal and impoundment pursuant to section 168B. See Minnesota Statutes 168B.011
- Unit of government: includes a state department or agency, a special purpose district, and a county, statutory or home rule charter city, or town. See Minnesota Statutes 168B.011
- vehicle: has the meaning given motor vehicle in section 169. See Minnesota Statutes 168B.011
- Vital component parts: means those parts of a motor vehicle that are essential to the mechanical functioning of the vehicle, including such things as the motor, drive train, and wheels. See Minnesota Statutes 168B.011
- Writ: A formal written command, issued from the court, requiring the performance of a specific act.