1. If it appear that a garnishee, at or after his or her garnishment, was possessed of any property of the defendant, or was indebted to him or her, the court, or judge in vacation, may order the delivery of such property, or the payment of the amount owing by the garnishee, to the sheriff, into court, or to the attorney for the party on whose behalf the order of garnishment was issued, at such time as the court may direct; or may permit the garnishee to retain the same, upon his or her executing a bond to the plaintiff, with security, approved by the court, to the effect that the property shall be forthcoming, or the amount paid, as the court may direct. Upon a breach of the obligation of such bond, the plaintiff may proceed against the obligors therein, in the manner prescribed in the case of a delivery bond given to the sheriff.
2. Notwithstanding subsection 1 of this section, when property is protected from garnishment by state or federal law including but not limited to federal restrictions on the garnishment of earnings in Title 15, U.S.C. Sections 1671 to 1677 and Old Age, Survivors and Disability Insurance benefits as provided in Title 42, U.S.C. Section 407, such property need not be delivered to the court, or to any other person, by the garnishee to the extent such protection or preemption is applicable.
Terms Used In Missouri Laws 525.080
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Garnishment: Generally, garnishment is a court proceeding in which a creditor asks a court to order a third party who owes money to the debtor or otherwise holds assets belonging to the debtor to turn over to the creditor any of the debtor
- In vacation: includes any adjournment of court for more than one day whenever any act is authorized to be done by or any power given to a court, or judge thereof in vacation, or whenever any act is authorized to be done by or any power given to a clerk of any court in vacation. See Missouri Laws 1.020
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- person: may extend and be applied to bodies politic and corporate, and to partnerships and other unincorporated associations. See Missouri Laws 1.020
- Plaintiff: The person who files the complaint in a civil lawsuit.
- Property: includes real and personal property. See Missouri Laws 1.020
- State: when applied to any of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories, and the words "United States" includes such district and territories. See Missouri Laws 1.020