(1) The county governing body, with respect to rural fire control, shall carry out the specific authorities and duties imposed in this section.
     (2) The governing body shall:

Terms Used In Montana Code 7-33-2202

  • State: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories. See Montana Code 1-1-201
  • United States: includes the District of Columbia and the territories. See Montana Code 1-1-201

     (a) provide for the organization of volunteer rural fire control crews; and
     (b) provide for the formation of county volunteer fire companies.
     (3) The governing body shall appoint a county rural fire chief and as many district rural fire chiefs, subject to the direction and supervision of the county rural fire chief, that it considers necessary.
     (4) Pursuant to 76-13-105(3), the county governing body shall, within the limitations of 7-33-2205, 7-33-2206, 7-33-2208, and 7-33-2209, either:
     (a) directly protect from fire land in the county that is not in a wildland fire protection district, as provided in 76-13-204, or under the protection of a municipality, state agency, or federal agency; or
     (b) enter into an agreement for wildland fire protection with a recognized agency, as that term is defined in 76-13-102.
     (5) The county governing body may enter into mutual aid agreements for itself and for county volunteer fire companies with:
     (a) other fire districts;
     (b) unincorporated municipalities;
     (c) incorporated municipalities;
     (d) state agencies;
     (e) private fire prevention agencies;
     (f) federal agencies;
     (g) fire service areas;
     (h) governing bodies of other political subdivisions in Montana; or
     (i) governing bodies of fire protection services, emergency medical care providers, and local government subdivisions of any other state or the United States pursuant to Title 10, chapter 3, part 11.
     (6) If the county governing body has not concluded a mutual aid agreement, the county governing body, a representative of the county governing body, or an incident commander may request assistance pursuant to 10-3-209.