Terms Used In Montana Code > Title 16 > Chapter 4
- Beneficiary: A person who is entitled to receive the benefits or proceeds of a will, trust, insurance policy, retirement plan, annuity, or other contract. Source: OCC
- Department: means a principal functional and administrative entity that:
(a) is created by this chapter within the executive branch of state government;
(b) is one of the 20 principal departments permitted under the constitution; and
(c) includes its units. See Montana Code 2-15-102
- Dependent: A person dependent for support upon another.
- Director: means a department head specifically referred to as a director in this chapter and does not mean a commission, board, commissioner, or constitutional officer. See Montana Code 2-15-102
- Electronic funds transfer: The transfer of money between accounts by consumer electronic systems-such as automated teller machines (ATMs) and electronic payment of bills-rather than by check or cash. (Wire transfers, checks, drafts, and paper instruments do not fall into this category.) Source: OCC
- Executor: A male person named in a will to carry out the decedent
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Guarantor: A party who agrees to be responsible for the payment of another party's debts should that party default. Source: OCC
- licensee: means a person or entity licensed by the department to sell alcoholic beverages at retail for either on-premises or off-premises consumption. See Montana Code 16-4-1003
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Mortgagee: The person to whom property is mortgaged and who has loaned the money.
- National Bank: A bank that is subject to the supervision of the Comptroller of the Currency. The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency is a bureau of the U.S. Treasury Department. A national bank can be recognized because it must have "national" or "national association" in its name. Source: OCC
- Peace officer: has the meaning as defined in 46-1-202. See Montana Code 1-1-207
- Presiding officer: A majority-party Senator who presides over the Senate and is charged with maintaining order and decorum, recognizing Members to speak, and interpreting the Senate's rules, practices and precedents.
- Printing: means the act of reproducing a design on a surface by any process. See Montana Code 1-1-203
- Probate: Proving a will
- Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed.
- Public defender: Represent defendants who can't afford an attorney in criminal matters.
- Sole ownership: The type of property ownership in which one individual holds legal title to the property and has full control of it.
- Uniform Commercial Code: A set of statutes enacted by the various states to provide consistency among the states' commercial laws. It includes negotiable instruments, sales, stock transfers, trust and warehouse receipts, and bills of lading. Source: OCC
- Uphold: The decision of an appellate court not to reverse a lower court decision.