|Part 1||General Provisions||§ 44-12-101 – § 44-12-104|
|Part 2||Procedure||§ 44-12-201 – § 44-12-213|
Terms Used In Montana Code > Title 44 > Chapter 12
- Actual knowledge: means direct and clear awareness of information. See Montana Code 44-12-101
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Answer: The formal written statement by a defendant responding to a civil complaint and setting forth the grounds for defense.
- Arrest: Taking physical custody of a person by lawful authority.
- Contiguous: means any area that, at the time annexation procedures are initiated, either abuts directly on the municipal boundary or is separated from the municipal boundary by a street or street right-of-way, a creek or river, the right-of-way of a railroad or other public service corporation, lands owned by the city or some other political subdivision, or lands owned by the state. See Montana Code 7-2-4704
- Controlled substance: means any substance designated as a dangerous drug pursuant to Title 50, chapter 32, parts 1 and 2. See Montana Code 44-12-101
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Municipality: means any incorporated city or town. See Montana Code 7-2-4704
- Peace officer: has the meaning as defined in 46-1-202. See Montana Code 1-1-207
- Personal property: means money, goods, chattels, things in action, and evidences of debt. See Montana Code 1-1-205
- Plea agreement: An arrangement between the prosecutor, the defense attorney, and the defendant in which the defendant agrees to plead guilty in exchange for special considerations. Source:
- Probable cause: A reasonable ground for belief that the offender violated a specific law.
- Real property: means lands, tenements, hereditaments, and possessory title to public lands. See Montana Code 1-1-205
- Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.