|General Provisions||385A.010 – 385A.060|
|Program and Annual Reports of Accountability||385A.070 – 385A.520|
|Statewide System of Accountability||385A.600 – 385A.840|
Terms Used In Nevada Revised Statutes > Chapter 385A - Accountability of Public Schools
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- Charter school: means a public school that is formed pursuant to the provisions of chapter 388A of NRS. See Nevada Revised Statutes 385.007
- Common law: The legal system that originated in England and is now in use in the United States. It is based on judicial decisions rather than legislative action.
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- county: includes Carson City. See Nevada Revised Statutes 0.033
- Custodial parent: means the parent of a child born out of wedlock who has been awarded physical custody of the child or, if no award of physical custody has been made by a court, the parent with whom the child resides. See Nevada Revised Statutes 126.021
- Department: means the Department of Education. See Nevada Revised Statutes 385.007
- Division: means the Division of Child and Family Services of the Department of Health and Human Services. See Nevada Revised Statutes 127.003
- Donor: The person who makes a gift.
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- Indian child: has the meaning ascribed to it in 25 U. See Nevada Revised Statutes 127.003
- Indian Child Welfare Act: means the Indian Child Welfare Act of 1978, 25 U. See Nevada Revised Statutes 127.003
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt.
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- Parent and child relationship: means the legal relationship existing between a child and his or her natural or adoptive parents incident to which the law confers or imposes rights, privileges, duties and obligations. See Nevada Revised Statutes 126.021
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- person: means a natural person, any form of business or social organization and any other nongovernmental legal entity including, but not limited to, a corporation, partnership, association, trust or unincorporated organization. See Nevada Revised Statutes 0.039
- physician: means a person who engages in the practice of medicine, including osteopathy and homeopathy. See Nevada Revised Statutes 0.040
- Public schools: means all kindergartens and elementary schools, junior high schools and middle schools, high schools, charter schools and any other schools, classes and educational programs which receive their support through public taxation and, except for charter schools, whose textbooks and courses of study are under the control of the State Board. See Nevada Revised Statutes 385.007
- Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land.
- State Board: means the State Board of Education. See Nevada Revised Statutes 385.007
- Testimony: Evidence presented orally by witnesses during trials or before grand juries.
- University school for profoundly gifted pupils: has the meaning ascribed to it in NRS 388C. See Nevada Revised Statutes 385.007