Terms Used In Ohio Code > Chapter 3302 - Performance Standards
- Adequate yearly progress: means a measure of annual academic performance as calculated in accordance with the "No Child Left Behind Act of 2001. See Ohio Code 3302.01
- Advice and consent: Under the Constitution, presidential nominations for executive and judicial posts take effect only when confirmed by the Senate, and international treaties become effective only when the Senate approves them by a two-thirds vote.
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Annual measurable objectives: means a measure of student progress determined in accordance with an agreement between the department of education and the United States department of education. See Ohio Code 3302.01
- Another: when used to designate the owner of property which is the subject of an offense, includes not only natural persons but also every other owner of property. See Ohio Code 1.02
- Answer: The formal written statement by a defendant responding to a civil complaint and setting forth the grounds for defense.
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Arrest: Taking physical custody of a person by lawful authority.
- Child: includes child by adoption. See Ohio Code 1.59
- Community school: means a community school established under Chapter 3314 of the Revised Code. See Ohio Code 3302.01
- Concurrent resolution: A legislative measure, designated "S. Con. Res." and numbered consecutively upon introduction, generally employed to address the sentiments of both chambers, to deal with issues or matters affecting both houses, such as a concurrent budget resolution, or to create a temporary joint committee. Concurrent resolutions are not submitted to the President/Governor and thus do not have the force of law.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Dependent: A person dependent for support upon another.
- Entitled to attend school in the district: means entitled to attend school in a school district under section 3313. See Ohio Code 3302.01
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Five-year adjusted cohort graduation rate: means the number of students who graduate in five years with a regular high school diploma divided by the number of students who form the adjusted cohort for the four-year graduation rate. See Ohio Code 3302.01
- Four-year adjusted cohort graduation rate: means the number of students who graduate in four years or less with a regular high school diploma divided by the number of students who form the adjusted cohort for the graduating class. See Ohio Code 3302.01
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- in writing: includes any representation of words, letters, symbols, or figures; this provision does not affect any law relating to signatures. See Ohio Code 1.59
- Internet: means the international computer network of both federal and nonfederal interoperable packet switched data networks, including the graphical subnetwork known as the world wide web. See Ohio Code 1.59
- Joint committee: Committees including membership from both houses of teh legislature. Joint committees are usually established with narrow jurisdictions and normally lack authority to report legislation.
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Minority leader: See Floor Leaders
- Oversight: Committee review of the activities of a Federal agency or program.
- Performance index score: means the average of the totals derived from calculations, for each subject area, of the weighted proportion of untested students and students scoring at each level of skill described in division (A)(2) of section 3301. See Ohio Code 3302.01
- Person: includes an individual, corporation, business trust, estate, trust, partnership, and association. See Ohio Code 1.59
- Population: means that shown by the most recent regular federal census. See Ohio Code 1.59
- Presiding officer: A majority-party Senator who presides over the Senate and is charged with maintaining order and decorum, recognizing Members to speak, and interpreting the Senate's rules, practices and precedents.
- Rule: includes regulation. See Ohio Code 1.59
- state: means the state of Ohio. See Ohio Code 1.59
- STEM school: means a science, technology, engineering, and mathematics school established under Chapter 3326 of the Revised Code. See Ohio Code 3302.01
- Subgroup: means a subset of the entire student population of the state, a school district, or a school building and includes each of the following:
(1) Major racial and ethnic groups;
(2) Students with disabilities;
(3) Economically disadvantaged students;
(4) English learners;
- Supplemental educational services: means additional academic assistance, such as tutoring, remediation, or other educational enrichment activities, that is conducted outside of the regular school day by a provider approved by the department in accordance with the "No Child Left Behind Act of 2001. See Ohio Code 3302.01
- Transcript: A written, word-for-word record of what was said, either in a proceeding such as a trial or during some other conversation, as in a transcript of a hearing or oral deposition.
- Trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust.
- United States: includes all the states. See Ohio Code 1.59
- Value-added progress dimension: means a measure of academic gain for a student or group of students over a specific period of time that is calculated by applying a statistical methodology to individual student achievement data derived from the achievement assessments prescribed by section 3301. See Ohio Code 3302.01