|§ 52||Establishment and Organization|
|§ 53||Functions and Duties|
|§ 55||Responsibilities of Covered Agencies, State Officers and Employees|
Terms Used In New York Laws > Executive > Article 4-A
- answer: The formal written statement by a defendant responding to a civil complaint and setting forth the grounds for defense.
- corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- dismissal: The dropping of a case by the judge without further consideration or hearing. Source:
- evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- oath: A promise to tell the truth.
- statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- subpoena: A command to a witness to appear and give testimony.
- testimony: Evidence presented orally by witnesses during trials or before grand juries.