Terms Used In New York Laws > General Construction > Article 2 - Meaning of Terms
- Allegation: something that someone says happened.
- Answer: The formal written statement by a defendant responding to a civil complaint and setting forth the grounds for defense.
- Authority: shall mean the public benefit corporation created by section twenty-seven hundred three of this title, known as the development authority of the north country. See N.Y. Public Authorities Law 2702
- Bonds: shall mean s the bonds, notes or other evidences of indebtedness issued by the authority pursuant to this title and the provisions of this title relating to bonds and bondholders shall apply with equal force and effect to notes and noteholders, respectively, unless the context otherwise clearly requires. See N.Y. Public Authorities Law 2702
- Chairman: means the chairman of the dormitory authority. See N.Y. Public Authorities Law 1695
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Construction: shall mean the acquisition, erection, building, alteration,
extension, reconstruction, renovation or rehabilitation of any project financed under the provisions of this title; the inspection and supervision thereof; and the engineering, architectural, legal, fiscal and economic investigations and studies, surveys, designs, plans, working drawings, specifications, procedures and other actions preliminary or incidental thereto. See N.Y. Public Authorities Law 2702
- Deed: The legal instrument used to transfer title in real property from one person to another.
- Existing sewer system: shall mean all sewers, including, without limitation, trunk, intercepting, connecting, lateral and other sewers, storm water drains, pumping stations, disposal or treatment plants or works, structures, appliances, equipment and other adjuncts thereto, comprising the portion of the system of sewerage owned by any participating county or municipality within a participating county, as delineated on a map filed by the governing body of such county or municipality with the secretary of the state of New York pursuant to this title. See N.Y. Public Authorities Law 2702
- Foreclosure: A legal process in which property that is collateral or security for a loan may be sold to help repay the loan when the loan is in default. Source: OCC
- Gift: A voluntary transfer or conveyance of property without consideration, or for less than full and adequate consideration based on fair market value.
- Interest rate: The amount paid by a borrower to a lender in exchange for the use of the lender's money for a certain period of time. Interest is paid on loans or on debt instruments, such as notes or bonds, either at regular intervals or as part of a lump sum payment when the issue matures. Source: OCC
- Judgement: The official decision of a court finally determining the respective rights and claims of the parties to a suit.
- Juror: A person who is on the jury.
- Mortgage: The written agreement pledging property to a creditor as collateral for a loan.
- Mortgage loan: A loan made by a lender to a borrower for the financing of real property. Source: OCC
- Municipality: shall mean any county, city, town, village, refuse district under the county law, improvement district under the town law, any other such instrumentality, including any agency, authority or public corporation of the state, or any of the foregoing, or any combination thereof. See N.Y. Public Authorities Law 2702
- Participating counties: shall mean the counties of Jefferson, St. See N.Y. Public Authorities Law 2702
- Person: shall mean any natural person, partnership, association, joint venture or corporation, exclusive of a public corporation. See N.Y. Public Authorities Law 2702
- Plaintiff: The person who files the complaint in a civil lawsuit.
- Project: shall mean a sewerage facility, solid waste management facility, water facility, or any portion of which, the planning, development, financing, acquisition, construction, operation or maintenance is authorized to be undertaken in whole or in part by the authority pursuant to this title. See N.Y. Public Authorities Law 2702
- Real property: shall mean lands, structures, improvements franchises and interests in land, including lands under water, waterfront property, marginal streets and riparian rights, space rights and air rights and any and all other things and rights usually included within said term and any fixtures, equipment and articles of personal property affixed to or used in connection therewith. See N.Y. Public Authorities Law 2702
- Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.
- Revenues: shall mean all rates, fees, rents, charges and other income derived by the authority from its operations. See N.Y. Public Authorities Law 2702
- Sewerage facility: shall mean a system of trunk, intercepting and connecting, lateral and outlet sewers, storm water drains, pumping and ventilating stations, disposal or treatment plants or works, and other appliances and structures, which in the judgment of the authority will provide an effectual and advantageous means for relieving the participating counties and municipalities within the participating counties from pollution created by the sewage and waste and relieving the participating counties and municipalities within the participating counties from inadequate sanitary and storm water drainage by providing for the sanitary disposal or treatment of the sewage thereof, or such sections or parts of such systems as the authority may from time to time deem it proper or convenient to construct, consistent with purpose of this title. See N.Y. Public Authorities Law 2702
- Solid waste: shall mean all putrescible and non-putrescible solid wastes, including, but not limited to, materials or substances discarded or rejected, whether as being spent, useless, worthless or in excess to the owners at the time of such discard or rejection or for any other reason, is being accumulated, stored, or physically, chemically or biologically treated prior to being discarded, has served its intended use, or is a manufacturing or mining by-product, including, but not limited to, garbage, refuse, and other discarded solid materials, including solid waste materials resulting from industrial, commercial, mining and agricultural operations and from community activities, sludges from air or water pollution control facilities or water supply treatment facilities, rubbish, ashes, contained gaseous material, incinerator residue, demolition and construction debris and offal, but not including sewage and other highly diluted water-carried materials or substances and those in gaseous form, special nuclear or by-product material within the meaning of the Atomic Energy Act of 1954, as amended, and waste which appears on the list of hazardous waste promulgated by the commissioner of environmental conservation pursuant to section 27-0903 of the environmental conservation law. See N.Y. Public Authorities Law 2702
- Solid waste management facility: shall mean any facility, plant, works, system, building, structure, improvement, machinery, equipment,
fixture or other real or personal property which is to be used, occupied or employed for or is incidental to the collecting, receiving, transporting, storage, processing, or disposal of solid waste or the recovery by any means of any material or energy product or resource therefrom including, but not limited to, recycling centers, transfer stations, shredding or baling facilities, rail haul or maritime facilities, collection vehicles, processing systems, resource recovery facilities, steam and electric generating and transmission facilities, including auxiliary facilities to supplement or temporarily replace such generating facilities, steam distribution facilities, sanitary landfills, leachate treatment facilities, plants and facilities for compacting, composting or pyrolization of solid wastes, secure land burial facilities, landspreading facilities, surface impoundments and waste oil storage, reprocessing and refining facilities, incinerators and other solid waste disposal, reduction or conversion facilities, and "resource recovery equipment" and "disposal equipment" as such terms are defined in subdivisions four and five of section 51-0903 of the environmental conservation law. See N.Y. Public Authorities Law 2702
- State: shall mean the state of New York. See N.Y. Public Authorities Law 2702
- United States: shall mean the United States of America or any department, agency or instrumentality thereof acting on behalf of the United States of America. See N.Y. Public Authorities Law 2702
- Venue: The geographical location in which a case is tried.
- Water facility: shall mean any water supply or distribution system or systems, including any plants, works, instrumentalities or parts thereof and appurtenances thereto, lands, easements, rights in land and water rights, right-of-way, contract rights, franchises, approaches, connections, dams, reservoirs, water mains and pipe lines, pumping stations and equipment, or any other property incidental to and included in such system or part thereof, and any improvements, extensions and betterments. See N.Y. Public Authorities Law 2702
- Writ: A formal written command, issued from the court, requiring the performance of a specific act.