|§ 1||Short Title|
|§ 2||General Definitions|
|§ 3||Interpretation of Knowledge and Notice|
|§ 4||Rules of Construction|
|§ 5||Rules for Cases Not Provided for in This Chapter|
Terms Used In New York Laws > Partnership > Article 1 - Short Title; Definitions; Construction.
- Appellate: About appeals; an appellate court has the power to review the judgement of another lower court or tribunal.
- Bankruptcy: Refers to statutes and judicial proceedings involving persons or businesses that cannot pay their debts and seek the assistance of the court in getting a fresh start. Under the protection of the bankruptcy court, debtors may discharge their debts, perhaps by paying a portion of each debt. Bankruptcy judges preside over these proceedings.
- Common law: The legal system that originated in England and is now in use in the United States. It is based on judicial decisions rather than legislative action.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Mortgage: The written agreement pledging property to a creditor as collateral for a loan.
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Person: means a natural person, firm, co-partnership, association or corporation. See N.Y. Vehicle and Traffic Law 2101
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- Vehicle: means a vehicle as defined in section one hundred fifty-nine of this chapter except that it shall not include a device for which a registration is denied pursuant to section four hundred-a of this chapter and, except with respect to section twenty-one hundred two of this article, shall also mean a vessel as defined in section twenty-two hundred fifty of this chapter. See N.Y. Vehicle and Traffic Law 2101