(a) An assumed business name certificate must include all of the following:
(1) The assumed business name, subject to the requirements of subsection (b) of this section.
(2) A real name of the person engaging in business under the assumed business name. If the business is a partnership other than a limited liability partnership or limited partnership, the assumed business name certificate must include a real name of five general partners or of each general partner, whichever is fewer.
(3) The nature of the business.
(4) The street address of the principal place of business.
(5) Each county where the person uses or will be using the assumed business name to engage in business.
(b) A person may not include in an assumed business name any of the following terms:
(1) “Corporation,” “incorporated,” “corp.,” or “inc.,” unless the entity is a corporation organized under Chapter 55 or Chapter 55A of the General Statutes.
(2) “Limited liability company,” “L.L.C.” or “LLC,” or any other similar abbreviation or form of “limited liability company,” unless the entity is a limited liability company organized under Chapter 55D of the General Statutes.
(3) “Limited partnership,” “L.P.” or “LP,” or any other similar abbreviation or form of “limited partnership,” unless the entity is a limited partnership organized under Chapter 59 of the General Statutes.
(4) “Limited liability partnership,” “registered limited liability limited partnership,” or any other similar abbreviation or form of those terms, unless the entity is organized or registered as a limited liability partnership under Chapter 59 of the General Statutes. ?(2016-100, s. 2; 2017-23, s. 1; 2019-117, s. 4.)
Terms Used In North Carolina General Statutes 66-71.5
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- following: when used by way of reference to any section of a statute, shall be construed to mean the section next preceding or next following that in which such reference is made; unless when some other section is expressly designated in such reference. See North Carolina General Statutes 12-3
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.