(A) Not earlier than July 1, 2005, and not later than July 1, 2007, the department of education shall implement a value-added progress dimension for school districts and buildings and shall incorporate the value-added progress dimension into the report cards and performance ratings issued for districts and buildings under section 3302.03 of the Revised Code.
Terms Used In Ohio Code 3302.021
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- state: means the state of Ohio. See Ohio Code 1.59
- Value-added progress dimension: means a measure of academic gain for a student or group of students over a specific period of time that is calculated by applying a statistical methodology to individual student achievement data derived from the achievement assessments prescribed by section 3301. See Ohio Code 3302.01
The state board of education shall adopt rules, pursuant to Chapter 119. of the Revised Code, for the implementation of the value-added progress dimension. The rules adopted under this division shall specify both of the following:
(1) A scale for describing the levels of academic progress in reading and mathematics relative to a standard year of academic growth in those subjects for each of grades three through eight;
(2) That the department shall maintain the confidentiality of individual student test scores and individual student reports in accordance with sections 3301.0711, 3301.0714, and 3319.321 of the Revised Code and federal law. The department may require school districts to use a unique identifier for each student for this purpose. Individual student test scores and individual student reports shall be made available only to a student’s classroom teacher and other appropriate educational personnel and to the student’s parent or guardian.
(B) The department shall use a system designed for collecting necessary data, calculating the value-added progress dimension, analyzing data, and generating reports, which system has been used previously by a nonprofit organization led by the Ohio business community for at least one year in the operation of a pilot program in cooperation with school districts to collect and report student achievement data via electronic means and to provide information to the districts regarding the academic performance of individual students, grade levels, school buildings, and the districts as a whole.
(C) The department shall not pay more than two dollars per student for data analysis and reporting to implement the value-added progress dimension in the same manner and with the same services as under the pilot program described by division (B) of this section. However, nothing in this section shall preclude the department or any school district from entering into a contract for the provision of more services at a higher fee per student. Any data analysis conducted under this section by an entity under contract with the department shall be completed in accordance with timelines established by the superintendent of public instruction.
(D) The department shall share any aggregate student data and any calculation, analysis, or report utilizing aggregate student data that is generated under this section with the chancellor of the Ohio board of regents. The department shall not share individual student test scores and individual student reports with the chancellor.
the state board on all issues related to the school district and building accountability system established under this chapter;
Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.184, HB 555, §1, eff. 3/22/2013.
Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.39, SB 171, §1, eff. 6/30/2011.
Amended by 128th General AssemblyFile No.9, HB 1, §101.01, eff. 10/16/2009.
Effective Date: 08-15-2003; 06-30-2006
Related Legislative Provision: See 129th General AssemblyFile No.39, SB 171, §4 .