Ohio Code > Chapter 1 – Definitions; Rules of Construction
Terms Used In Ohio Code > Chapter 1 - Definitions; Rules of Construction
- Accumulated contributions: means the sum of all amounts credited to a contributor's individual account in the employees' savings fund together with any interest credited to the contributor's account under section 145. See Ohio Code 145.01
- Acknowledgment: means a notarial act in which the signer of the notarized document acknowledges all of the following:
(1) That the signer has signed the document;
(2) That the signer understands the document;
(3) That the signer is aware of the consequences of executing the document by signing it. See Ohio Code 147.011
- Judgement that a criminal defendant has not been proved guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.
- A verdict of "not guilty."
- Actuary: means an individual who satisfies all of the following requirements:
(1) Is a member of the American academy of actuaries;
(2) Is an associate or fellow of the society of actuaries;
(3) Has a minimum of five years' experience in providing actuarial services to public retirement plans. See Ohio Code 145.01
- Adjourn: A motion to adjourn a legislative chamber or a committee, if passed, ends that day's session.
- Adjournment sine die: The end of a legislative session "without day." These adjournments are used to indicate the final adjournment of an annual or the two-year session of legislature.
- Advice and consent: Under the Constitution, presidential nominations for executive and judicial posts take effect only when confirmed by the Senate, and international treaties become effective only when the Senate approves them by a two-thirds vote.
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- Affirmed: In the practice of the appellate courts, the decree or order is declared valid and will stand as rendered in the lower court.
- Age and service retirement: means retirement as provided in sections 145. See Ohio Code 145.01
- agriculture: includes farming; ranching; aquaculture; algaculture meaning the farming of algae; apiculture and related apicultural activities, production of honey, beeswax, honeycomb, and other related products; horticulture; viticulture, winemaking, and related activities; animal husbandry, including, but not limited to, the care and raising of livestock, equine, and fur-bearing animals; poultry husbandry and the production of poultry and poultry products; dairy production; the production of field crops, tobacco, fruits, vegetables, nursery stock, ornamental shrubs, ornamental trees, flowers, sod, or mushrooms; timber; pasturage; any combination of the foregoing; the processing, drying, storage, and marketing of agricultural products when those activities are conducted in conjunction with, but are secondary to, such husbandry or production; and any additions or modifications to the foregoing made by the director of agriculture by rule adopted in accordance with Chapter 119 of the Revised Code. See Ohio Code 1.61
- Allegation: something that someone says happened.
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Amortization: Paying off a loan by regular installments.
- Annual percentage rate: The cost of credit at a yearly rate. It is calculated in a standard way, taking the average compound interest rate over the term of the loan so borrowers can compare loans. Lenders are required by law to disclose a card account's APR. Source: FDIC
- Annuity: A periodic (usually annual) payment of a fixed sum of money for either the life of the recipient or for a fixed number of years. A series of payments under a contract from an insurance company, a trust company, or an individual. Annuity payments are made at regular intervals over a period of more than one full year.
- Annuity: means payments for life derived from contributions made by a contributor and paid from the annuity and pension reserve fund as provided in this chapter. See Ohio Code 145.01
- Another: when used to designate the owner of property which is the subject of an offense, includes not only natural persons but also every other owner of property. See Ohio Code 1.02
- Answer: The formal written statement by a defendant responding to a civil complaint and setting forth the grounds for defense.
- Anticipatory securities: means securities, including notes, issued in anticipation of the issuance of other securities. See Ohio Code 133.01
- anything of value: includes :
(A) Money, bank bills or notes, United States treasury notes, and other bills, bonds, or notes issued by lawful authority and intended to pass and circulate as money;
(B) Goods and chattels;
(C) Promissory notes, bills of exchange, orders, drafts, warrants, checks, or bonds given for the payment of money;
(D) Receipts given for the payment of money or other property;
(E) Rights in action;
(F) Things which savor of the realty and are, at the time they are taken, a part of the freehold, whether they are of the substance or produce thereof or affixed thereto, although there may be no interval between the severing and taking away;
(G) Any interest in realty, including fee simple and partial interests, present and future, contingent or vested interests, beneficial interests, leasehold interests, and any other interest in realty;
(H) Any promise of future employment;
(I) Every other thing of value. See Ohio Code 1.03
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Appellate: About appeals; an appellate court has the power to review the judgement of another lower court or tribunal.
- Appointing authority: means the officer, commission, board, or body having the power of appointment to, or removal from, positions in any office, department, commission, board, or institution. See Ohio Code 124.01
- Appraisal: A determination of property value.
- appropriate ethics commission: means :
(1) For matters relating to members of the general assembly, employees of the general assembly, employees of the legislative service commission, and candidates for the office of member of the general assembly, the joint legislative ethics committee;
(2) For matters relating to judicial officers and employees, and candidates for judicial office, the board of commissioners on grievances and discipline of the supreme court;
(3) For matters relating to all other persons, the Ohio ethics commission. See Ohio Code 102.01
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- Archive: includes any public record that is transferred to the state archives or other designated archival institutions because of the historical information contained on it. See Ohio Code 149.011
- Arraignment: A proceeding in which an individual who is accused of committing a crime is brought into court, told of the charges, and asked to plead guilty or not guilty.
- Arrest: Taking physical custody of a person by lawful authority.
- Asset forfeiture: A procedure by which a person's property is seized to pay judgments levied by the court.
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- Assistant house sergeant at arms: means any person appointed by the house sergeant at arms under division (C)(1) of section 101. See Ohio Code 145.01
- Attachment: A procedure by which a person's property is seized to pay judgments levied by the court.
- Audit: means any of the following:
(1) Any examination, analysis, or inspection of the state's or a public office's financial statements or reports;
(2) Any examination, analysis, or inspection of records, documents, books, or any other evidence relating to either of the following:
(a) The collection, receipt, accounting, use, or expenditure of public money by a public office or by a private institution, association, board, or corporation;
(b) The determination by the auditor of state, as required by section 117. See Ohio Code 117.01
- Authority: means the Ohio venture capital authority created under section 150. See Ohio Code 150.01
- Bail: Security given for the release of a criminal defendant or witness from legal custody (usually in the form of money) to secure his/her appearance on the day and time appointed.
- Bailiff: a court officer who enforces the rules of behavior in courtrooms.
- Balanced budget: A budget in which receipts equal outlays.
- Bankruptcy: Refers to statutes and judicial proceedings involving persons or businesses that cannot pay their debts and seek the assistance of the court in getting a fresh start. Under the protection of the bankruptcy court, debtors may discharge their debts, perhaps by paying a portion of each debt. Bankruptcy judges preside over these proceedings.
- Baseline: Projection of the receipts, outlays, and other budget amounts that would ensue in the future without any change in existing policy. Baseline projections are used to gauge the extent to which proposed legislation, if enacted into law, would alter current spending and revenue levels.
- beneficiaries: means the estate or a person or persons who, as the result of the death of a member, contributor, or retirant, qualify for or are receiving some right or benefit under this chapter. See Ohio Code 145.01
- Beneficiary: A person who is entitled to receive the benefits or proceeds of a will, trust, insurance policy, retirement plan, annuity, or other contract. Source: OCC
- Bequest: Property gifted by will.
- Blighted parcel: means either of the following:
(1) A parcel that has one or more of the following conditions:
(a) A structure that is dilapidated, unsanitary, unsafe, or vermin infested and that because of its condition has been designated by an agency that is responsible for the enforcement of housing, building, or fire codes as unfit for human habitation or use;
(b) The property poses a direct threat to public health or safety in its present condition by reason of environmentally hazardous conditions, solid waste pollution, or contamination;
(c) Tax or special assessment delinquencies exceeding the fair value of the land that remain unpaid thirty-five days after notice to pay has been mailed. See Ohio Code 1.08
- Board of county commissioners: includes the legislative authority of a county established under Section 3 of Article X, Ohio Constitution, or Chapter 302 of the Revised Code. See Ohio Code 128.01
- Board of elections: means the county board of elections of the county in which the subdivision is located. See Ohio Code 133.01
- Bond: includes an undertaking. See Ohio Code 1.02
- Bond proceedings: means one or more ordinances, resolutions, trust agreements, indentures, and other agreements or documents, and amendments and supplements to the foregoing, or any combination thereof, authorizing or providing for the terms, including any variable interest rates, and conditions applicable to, or providing for the security of, obligations and the provisions contained in such obligations. See Ohio Code 140.01
- Bond retirement fund: means the bond retirement fund provided for in section 5705. See Ohio Code 133.01
- Bond service charges: means principal, interest, and call premium, if any, required to be paid on obligations. See Ohio Code 140.01
- Bureau of criminal identification and investigation investigator: means a person who is in compliance with section 109. See Ohio Code 145.01
- Capitalized interest: means all or a portion of the interest payable on securities from their date to a date stated or provided for in the applicable legislation, which interest is to be paid from the proceeds of the securities. See Ohio Code 133.01
- Case law: The law as laid down in cases that have been decided in the decisions of the courts.
- Caucus: From the Algonquian Indian language, a caucus meant "to meet together." An informal organization of members of the legislature that exists to discuss issues of mutual concern and possibly to perform legislative research and policy planning for its members. There are regional, political or ideological, ethnic, and economic-based caucuses.
- Certified nurse practitioner: means an advanced practice registered nurse who holds a current, valid license issued under Chapter 4723 of the Revised Code and is designated as a certified nurse practitioner in accordance with section 4723. See Ohio Code 1.64
- Certified nurse-midwife: means an advanced practice registered nurse who holds a current, valid license issued under Chapter 4723 of the Revised Code and is designated as a certified nurse-midwife in accordance with section 4723. See Ohio Code 1.64
- Charity: An agency, institution, or organization in existence and operating for the benefit of an indefinite number of persons and conducted for educational, religious, scientific, medical, or other beneficent purposes.
- Child: includes child by adoption. See Ohio Code 1.59
- City: means any municipal corporation having its own retirement system and includes any municipal university belonging to the municipal corporation. See Ohio Code 144.01
- Civil forfeiture: The loss of ownership of property used to conduct illegal activity.
- Civil service: includes all offices and positions of trust or employment in the service of the state and in the service of the counties, cities, city health districts, general health districts, and city school districts of the state. See Ohio Code 124.01
- Civil service township: means any township with a population of ten thousand or more persons residing within the township and outside any municipal corporation, which has a police or fire department of ten or more full-time paid employees and which has a civil service commission established under division (B) of section 124. See Ohio Code 124.01
- Classification change: means a change in an employee's classification in the job classification plan. See Ohio Code 124.01
- Classification series: means any group of classification titles that have the identical name but different numerical designations, or identical titles except for designated levels of supervision, except for those classification series established by the director of administrative services in accordance with division (A) of section 124. See Ohio Code 124.01
- Classified service: means the competitive classified civil service of the state, the several counties, cities, city health districts, general health districts, and city school districts of the state, and civil service townships. See Ohio Code 124.01
- Clerk of court: An officer appointed by the court to work with the chief judge in overseeing the court's administration, especially to assist in managing the flow of cases through the court and to maintain court records.
- Clinical nurse specialist: means an advanced practice registered nurse who holds a current, valid license issued under Chapter 4723 of the Revised Code and is designated as a clinical nurse specialist in accordance with section 4723. See Ohio Code 1.64
- Codicil: An addition, change, or supplement to a will executed with the same formalities required for the will itself.
- Color of office: means actually, purportedly, or allegedly done under any law, ordinance, resolution, order, or other pretension to official right, power, or authority. See Ohio Code 117.01
- Commission: means the municipal civil service commission of any city, except that, when in reference to the commission that serves a city school district, "commission" means the civil service commission determined under section 124. See Ohio Code 124.01
- Common law: The legal system that originated in England and is now in use in the United States. It is based on judicial decisions rather than legislative action.
- Community problems: includes , but is not limited to, taxation, fiscal administration, governmental structure and organization, intergovernmental cooperation, education and training, employment needs, community planning and development, air and water pollution, public safety and the administration of justice, housing, mass transportation, community facilities and services, health, welfare, recreation, open space, and the development of human resources. See Ohio Code 122.01
- Compensation: means money, thing of value, or financial benefit. See Ohio Code 102.01
- Competitive selection: means any of the following procedures for making purchases:
(1) Competitive sealed bidding under section 125. See Ohio Code 125.01
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Concurrent resolution: A legislative measure, designated "S. Con. Res." and numbered consecutively upon introduction, generally employed to address the sentiments of both chambers, to deal with issues or matters affecting both houses, such as a concurrent budget resolution, or to create a temporary joint committee. Concurrent resolutions are not submitted to the President/Governor and thus do not have the force of law.
- Conference committee: A temporary, ad hoc panel composed of conferees from both chamber of a legislature which is formed for the purpose of reconciling differences in legislation that has passed both chambers. Conference committees are usually convened to resolve bicameral differences on major and controversial legislation.
- Conservancy district officer: means a full-time employee of a conservancy district who is designated pursuant to section 6101. See Ohio Code 145.01
- Consumer: means the person for whom the prepaid wireless calling service is provided, to whom the transfer effected or license given by a sale is or is to be made or given, to whom the prepaid wireless calling service is charged, or to whom the admission is granted. See Ohio Code 128.01
- Continuing member: means any former participating employee who is not currently having compensation deferred, or the former participating employee's beneficiary, to whom payment has not been made of all deferred compensation distributions. See Ohio Code 148.01
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Contributing service: means both of the following:
(1) All service credited to a member of the system since January 1, 1935, for which contributions are made as required by sections 145. See Ohio Code 145.01
- contributor: includes any person participating in a PERS defined contribution plan. See Ohio Code 145.01
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Costs of hospital facilities: means the costs of acquiring hospital facilities or interests in hospital facilities, including membership interests in nonprofit hospital agencies, costs of constructing hospital facilities, costs of improving one or more hospital facilities, including reconstructing, rehabilitating, remodeling, renovating, and enlarging, costs of equipping and furnishing such facilities, and all financing costs pertaining thereto, including, without limitation thereto, costs of engineering, architectural, and other professional services, designs, plans, specifications and surveys, and estimates of cost, costs of tests and inspections, the costs of any indemnity or surety bonds and premiums on insurance, all related direct or allocable administrative expenses pertaining thereto, fees and expenses of trustees, depositories, and paying agents for the obligations, cost of issuance of the obligations and financing charges and fees and expenses of financial advisors, attorneys, accountants, consultants and rating services in connection therewith, capitalized interest on the obligations, amounts necessary to establish reserves as required by the bond proceedings, the reimbursement of all moneys advanced or applied by the hospital agency or others or borrowed from others for the payment of any item or items of costs of such facilities, and all other expenses necessary or incident to planning or determining feasibility or practicability with respect to such facilities, and such other expenses as may be necessary or incident to the acquisition, construction, reconstruction, rehabilitation, remodeling, renovation, enlargement, improvement, equipment, and furnishing of such facilities, the financing thereof, and the placing of the same in use and operation, including any one, part of, or combination of such classes of costs and expenses, and means the costs of refinancing obligations issued by, or reimbursement of money advanced by, nonprofit hospital agencies or others the proceeds of which were used for the payment of costs of hospital facilities, if the governing body of the public hospital agency determines that the refinancing or reimbursement advances the purposes of this chapter, whether or not the refinancing or reimbursement is in conjunction with the acquisition or construction of additional hospital facilities. See Ohio Code 140.01
- Counterclaim: A claim that a defendant makes against a plaintiff.
- County auditor: means the county auditor of the county in which the subdivision is located. See Ohio Code 133.01
- County-related corporation: means a nonprofit corporation, without capital stock, organized and existing under Chapter 1702 of the Revised Code to carry on county-related recreational functions on property, the title of which rests in the name of the county, that would normally be carried on by commercial interests for profit, the receipts in excess of actual and necessary expenses of which are transferred to a board of county commissioners, and the assets of which, upon dissolution of the corporation, become the property of a board of county commissioners. See Ohio Code 144.01
- Credit enhancement facilities: means letters of credit, lines of credit, stand-by, contingent, or firm securities purchase agreements, insurance, or surety arrangements, guarantees, and other arrangements that provide for direct or contingent payment of debt charges, for security or additional security in the event of nonpayment or default in respect of securities, or for making payment of debt charges to and at the option and on demand of securities holders or at the option of the issuer or upon certain conditions occurring under put or similar arrangements, or for otherwise supporting the credit or liquidity of the securities, and includes credit, reimbursement, marketing, remarketing, indexing, carrying, interest rate hedge, and subrogation agreements, and other agreements and arrangements for payment and reimbursement of the person providing the credit enhancement facility and the security for that payment and reimbursement. See Ohio Code 133.01
- current expenses: means the lawful expenditures of a subdivision, except those for permanent improvements and for payments of debt charges of the subdivision. See Ohio Code 133.01
- Customer premises equipment: means telecommunications equipment, including telephone instruments, on the premises of a public safety answering point that is used in answering and responding to 9-1-1 system calls. See Ohio Code 128.01
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Debt charges: means the principal, including any mandatory sinking fund deposits and mandatory redemption payments, interest, and any redemption premium, payable on securities as those payments come due and are payable. See Ohio Code 133.01
- Decedent: A deceased person.
- Deed: The legal instrument used to transfer title in real property from one person to another.
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Department of public safety enforcement agent: means a full-time employee of the department of public safety who is designated under section 5502. See Ohio Code 145.01
- Department of taxation investigator: means a person employed full time with the department of taxation to whom both of the following apply:
(1) The person has been delegated investigation powers pursuant to section 5743. See Ohio Code 145.01
- Dependent: A person dependent for support upon another.
- Deposition: An oral statement made before an officer authorized by law to administer oaths. Such statements are often taken to examine potential witnesses, to obtain discovery, or to be used later in trial.
- Deputy sheriff: means any person who is commissioned and employed as a full-time peace officer by the sheriff of any county, and has been so employed since on or before December 31, 1965; any person who is or has been commissioned and employed as a peace officer by the sheriff of any county since January 1, 1966, and who has received a certificate attesting to the person's satisfactory completion of the peace officer training school as required by section 109. See Ohio Code 145.01
- development services agency: means the department of development and the "director of development services" means the director of development. See Ohio Code 122.01
- Devise: To gift property by will.
- Disability allowance: means an allowance paid on account of disability under section 145. See Ohio Code 145.01
- Disability benefit: means a benefit paid as disability retirement under section 145. See Ohio Code 145.01
- Disability benefit recipient: means a member who is receiving a disability benefit. See Ohio Code 145.01
- Disability retirement: means retirement as provided in section 145. See Ohio Code 145.01
- Discovery: Lawyers' examination, before trial, of facts and documents in possession of the opponents to help the lawyers prepare for trial.
- Dismissal: The dropping of a case by the judge without further consideration or hearing. Source:
- Docket: A log containing brief entries of court proceedings.
- Donor: The person who makes a gift.
- Drug agent: means any person who is either of the following:
(1) Employed full time as a narcotics agent by a county narcotics agency created pursuant to section 307. See Ohio Code 145.01
- Earnable salary: includes the following:
(a) Payments made by the employer in lieu of salary, wages, or other earnings for sick leave, personal leave, or vacation used by the contributor;
(b) Payments made by the employer for the conversion of sick leave, personal leave, and vacation leave accrued, but not used if the payment is made during the year in which the leave is accrued, except that payments made pursuant to section 124. See Ohio Code 145.01
- Electronic funds transfer: The transfer of money between accounts by consumer electronic systems-such as automated teller machines (ATMs) and electronic payment of bills-rather than by check or cash. (Wire transfers, checks, drafts, and paper instruments do not fall into this category.) Source: OCC
- Eligible employee: means any public employee, as defined in division (A) of section 145. See Ohio Code 148.01
- Embezzlement: In most states, embezzlement is defined as theft/larceny of assets (money or property) by a person in a position of trust or responsibility over those assets. Embezzlement typically occurs in the employment and corporate settings. Source: OCC
- Emergency service: means emergency law enforcement, firefighting, ambulance, rescue, and medical service. See Ohio Code 128.01
- Emergency service provider: means the state highway patrol and an emergency service department or unit of a subdivision or that provides emergency service to a subdivision under contract with the subdivision. See Ohio Code 128.01
- Employee: means any person holding a position subject to appointment, removal, promotion, or reduction by an appointing officer. See Ohio Code 124.01
- Employee: has the meaning prescribed in section 210 (k) of the "Social Security Act" and may include officers of a county-related corporation or city. See Ohio Code 144.01
- employer: means the employer of any public employee. See Ohio Code 145.01
- Employer: means any person who, directly or indirectly, engages an executive agency lobbyist or legislative agent. See Ohio Code 102.01
- Employer contribution: means the amount paid by an employer as determined under section 145. See Ohio Code 145.01
- Employment: means any service performed by an employee in the employ of a county-related corporation or city, except service which, in the absence of an agreement entered into under this chapter, would constitute "employment" as defined in the "Social Security Act" or service which under the "Social Security Act" may not be included in an agreement between the state and the secretary of health and human services. See Ohio Code 144.01
- Enrolled bill: The final copy of a bill or joint resolution which has passed both chambers in identical form. It is printed on parchment paper, signed by appropriate officials, and submitted to the President/Governor for signature.
- enterprise acquisition project: has the meaning defined in section 4313. See Ohio Code 117.01
- Entitlement: A Federal program or provision of law that requires payments to any person or unit of government that meets the eligibility criteria established by law. Entitlements constitute a binding obligation on the part of the Federal Government, and eligible recipients have legal recourse if the obligation is not fulfilled. Social Security and veterans' compensation and pensions are examples of entitlement programs.
- Equitable: Pertaining to civil suits in "equity" rather than in "law." In English legal history, the courts of "law" could order the payment of damages and could afford no other remedy. See damages. A separate court of "equity" could order someone to do something or to cease to do something. See, e.g., injunction. In American jurisprudence, the federal courts have both legal and equitable power, but the distinction is still an important one. For example, a trial by jury is normally available in "law" cases but not in "equity" cases. Source: U.S. Courts
- Escheat: Reversion of real or personal property to the state when 1) a person dies without leaving a will and has no heirs, or 2) when the property (such as a bank account) has been inactive for a certain period of time. Source: OCC
- Escrow: Money given to a third party to be held for payment until certain conditions are met.
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Ex officio: Literally, by virtue of one's office.
- Executive session: A portion of the Senate's daily session in which it considers executive business.
- Executor: A male person named in a will to carry out the decedent
- Fair market value: The price at which an asset would change hands in a transaction between a willing, informed buyer and a willing, informed seller.
- Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation: A government corporation that insures the deposits of all national and state banks that are members of the Federal Reserve System. Source: OCC
- Federal Reserve System: The central bank of the United States. The Fed, as it is commonly called, regulates the U.S. monetary and financial system. The Federal Reserve System is composed of a central governmental agency in Washington, D.C. (the Board of Governors) and twelve regional Federal Reserve Banks in major cities throughout the United States. Source: OCC
- Fee simple: Absolute title to property with no limitations or restrictions regarding the person who may inherit it.
- Fiduciary: A trustee, executor, or administrator.
- Fiduciary: means a person who does any of the following:
(1) Exercises any discretionary authority or control with respect to the management of the system or with respect to the management or disposition of its assets;
(2) Renders investment advice for a fee, direct or indirect, with respect to money or property of the system;
(3) Has any discretionary authority or responsibility in the administration of the system. See Ohio Code 145.01
- Final average salary: means the greater of the following:
(a) The sum of the member's earnable salaries for the appropriate number of calendar years of contributing service, determined under section 145. See Ohio Code 145.01
- Final plan: means a final plan adopted under division (B) of section 128. See Ohio Code 128.01
- financial supervisor: means the auditor of state. See Ohio Code 118.05
- Financing costs: means all costs and expenses relating to the authorization, including any required election, issuance, sale, delivery, authentication, deposit, custody, clearing, registration, transfer, exchange, fractionalization, replacement, payment, and servicing of securities, including, without limitation, costs and expenses for or relating to publication and printing, postage, delivery, preliminary and final official statements, offering circulars, and informational statements, travel and transportation, underwriters, placement agents, investment bankers, paying agents, registrars, authenticating agents, remarketing agents, custodians, clearing agencies or corporations, securities depositories, financial advisory services, certifications, audits, federal or state regulatory agencies, accounting and computation services, legal services and obtaining approving legal opinions and other legal opinions, credit ratings, redemption premiums, and credit enhancement facilities. See Ohio Code 133.01
- Fiscal officer: means the following, or, in the case of absence or vacancy in the office, a deputy or assistant authorized by law or charter to act in the place of the named officer, or if there is no such authorization then the deputy or assistant authorized by legislation to act in the place of the named officer for purposes of this chapter, in the case of the following subdivisions:
(1) A county, the county auditor;
(2) A municipal corporation, the city auditor or village clerk or clerk-treasurer, or the officer who, by virtue of a charter, has the duties and functions provided in the Revised Code for the city auditor or village clerk or clerk-treasurer;
(3) A school district, the treasurer of the board of education;
(4) A regional water and sewer district, the secretary of the board of trustees;
(5) A joint township hospital district, the treasurer of the district;
(6) A joint ambulance district, the clerk of the board of trustees;
(7) A joint recreation district, the person designated pursuant to section 755. See Ohio Code 133.01
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Fixed Rate: Having a "fixed" rate means that the APR doesn't change based on fluctuations of some external rate (such as the "Prime Rate"). In other words, a fixed rate is a rate that is not a variable rate. A fixed APR can change over time, in several circumstances:
- You are late making a payment or commit some other default, triggering an increase to a penalty rate
- The bank changes the terms of your account and you do not reject the change.
- The rate expires (if the rate was fixed for only a certain period of time).
- Foreclosure: A legal process in which property that is collateral or security for a loan may be sold to help repay the loan when the loan is in default. Source: OCC
- Forest-fire investigator: means a full-time employee of the department of natural resources who is appointed a forest-fire investigator under section 1503. See Ohio Code 145.01
- Forgery: The fraudulent signing or alteration of another's name to an instrument such as a deed, mortgage, or check. The intent of the forgery is to deceive or defraud. Source: OCC
- Fractionalized interests in public obligations: means participations, certificates of participation, shares, or other instruments or agreements, separate from the public obligations themselves, evidencing ownership of interests in public obligations or of rights to receive payments of, or on account of, principal or interest or their equivalents payable by or on behalf of an obligor pursuant to public obligations. See Ohio Code 133.01
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- Fully registered securities: means securities in certificated or uncertificated form, registered as to both principal and interest in the name of the owner. See Ohio Code 133.01
- Fund: means to provide for the payment of debt charges and expenses related to that payment at or prior to retirement by purchase, call for redemption, payment at maturity, or otherwise. See Ohio Code 133.01
- Gaming agent: means a person who is in compliance with section 109. See Ohio Code 145.01
- Garnishment: Generally, garnishment is a court proceeding in which a creditor asks a court to order a third party who owes money to the debtor or otherwise holds assets belonging to the debtor to turn over to the creditor any of the debtor
- General obligation: means securities to the payment of debt charges on which the full faith and credit and the general property taxing power, including taxes within the tax limitation if available to the subdivision, of the subdivision are pledged. See Ohio Code 133.01
- Gift: A voluntary transfer or conveyance of property without consideration, or for less than full and adequate consideration based on fair market value.
- Governing body: means , in the case of a county, the board of county commissioners or other legislative body; in the case of a board of county hospital trustees, the board; in the case of a county hospital commission, the commission; in the case of a municipal corporation, the council or other legislative authority; in the case of a new community authority, its board of trustees; in the case of a joint township hospital district, the joint township district hospital board; in the case of a state or municipal university or college, its board of trustees or board of directors; in the case of a nonprofit hospital agency, the board of trustees or other body having general management of the agency; and, in the case of the state, the director of development services or the Ohio higher educational facility commission. See Ohio Code 140.01
- Grace period: The number of days you'll have to pay your bill for purchases in full without triggering a finance charge. Source: Federal Reserve
- Grand jury: agreement providing that a lender will delay exercising its rights (in the case of a mortgage,
- Grantor: The person who establishes a trust and places property into it.
- Guarantor: A party who agrees to be responsible for the payment of another party's debts should that party default. Source: OCC
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- Habeas corpus: A writ that is usually used to bring a prisoner before the court to determine the legality of his imprisonment. It may also be used to bring a person in custody before the court to give testimony, or to be prosecuted.
- Hamilton county municipal court bailiff: means a person appointed by the clerk of courts of the Hamilton county municipal court under division (A)(3) of section 1901. See Ohio Code 145.01
- Head of the department: means the elective or appointive head of the several executive, judicial, and administrative departments, institutions, boards, and commissions of the state and local government as the same are created and defined by the laws of this state or, in case of a charter government, by that charter. See Ohio Code 145.01
- Honorarium: means any payment made in consideration for any speech given, article published, or attendance at any public or private conference, convention, meeting, social event, meal, or similar gathering. See Ohio Code 102.01
- Hospital agency: means any public hospital agency or any nonprofit hospital agency. See Ohio Code 140.01
- Hospital facilities: means buildings, structures and other improvements, additions thereto and extensions thereof, furnishings, equipment, and real estate and interests in real estate, used or to be used for or in connection with one or more hospitals, emergency, intensive, intermediate, extended, long-term, or self-care facilities, diagnostic and treatment and out-patient facilities, facilities related to programs for home health services, clinics, laboratories, public health centers, research facilities, and rehabilitation facilities, for or pertaining to diagnosis, treatment, care, or rehabilitation of sick, ill, injured, infirm, impaired, disabled, or handicapped persons, or the prevention, detection, and control of disease, and also includes education, training, and food service facilities for health professions personnel, housing facilities for such personnel and their families, and parking and service facilities in connection with any of the foregoing; and includes any one, part of, or any combination of the foregoing; and further includes site improvements, utilities, machinery, facilities, furnishings, and any separate or connected buildings, structures, improvements, sites, utilities, facilities, or equipment to be used in, or in connection with the operation or maintenance of, or supplementing or otherwise related to the services or facilities to be provided by, any one or more of such hospital facilities. See Ohio Code 140.01
- Hospital receipts: means all moneys received by or on behalf of a hospital agency from or in connection with the ownership, operation, acquisition, construction, improvement, equipping, or financing of any hospital facilities, including, without limitation thereto, any rentals and other moneys received from the lease, sale, or other disposition of hospital facilities, and any gifts, grants, interest subsidies, or other moneys received under any federal program for assistance in financing the costs of hospital facilities, and any other gifts, grants, and donations, and receipts therefrom, available for financing the costs of hospital facilities. See Ohio Code 140.01
- House sergeant at arms: means any person appointed by the speaker of the house of representatives under division (B)(1) of section 101. See Ohio Code 145.01
- Immediate family: means a spouse residing in the person's household and any dependent child. See Ohio Code 102.01
- Impeachment: (1) The process of calling something into question, as in "impeaching the testimony of a witness." (2) The constitutional process whereby the House of Representatives may "impeach" (accuse of misconduct) high officers of the federal government for trial in the Senate.
- imprisonment: means being imprisoned under a sentence imposed for an offense or serving a term of imprisonment, prison term, jail term, term of local incarceration, or other term under a sentence imposed for an offense in an institution under the control of the department of rehabilitation and correction, a county, multicounty, municipal, municipal-county, or multicounty-municipal jail or workhouse, a minimum security jail, a community-based correctional facility, or another facility described or referred to in section 2929. See Ohio Code 1.05
- improvement: means any property, asset, or improvement certified by the fiscal officer, which certification is conclusive, as having an estimated life or period of usefulness of five years or more, and includes, but is not limited to, real estate, buildings, and personal property and interests in real estate, buildings, and personal property, equipment, furnishings, and site improvements, and reconstruction, rehabilitation, renovation, installation, improvement, enlargement, and extension of property, assets, or improvements so certified as having an estimated life or period of usefulness of five years or more. See Ohio Code 133.01
- in writing: includes any representation of words, letters, symbols, or figures; this provision does not affect any law relating to signatures. See Ohio Code 1.59
- Income: includes gross income as defined and used in the "Internal Revenue Code of 1986" 100 Stat. See Ohio Code 102.01
- Indemnification: In general, a collateral contract or assurance under which one person agrees to secure another person against either anticipated financial losses or potential adverse legal consequences. Source: FDIC
- Independent living facility: means any self-care facility or other housing facility designed or used as a residence for elderly persons. See Ohio Code 140.01
- Indictment: The formal charge issued by a grand jury stating that there is enough evidence that the defendant committed the crime to justify having a trial; it is used primarily for felonies.
- Injunction: An order of the court prohibiting (or compelling) the performance of a specific act to prevent irreparable damage or injury.
- Inter vivos: Transfer of property from one living person to another living person.
- interest equivalent: means those payments or portions of payments, however denominated, that constitute or represent consideration for forbearing the collection of money, or for deferring the receipt of payment of money to a future time. See Ohio Code 133.01
- Interest rate: The amount paid by a borrower to a lender in exchange for the use of the lender's money for a certain period of time. Interest is paid on loans or on debt instruments, such as notes or bonds, either at regular intervals or as part of a lump sum payment when the issue matures. Source: OCC
- Internal Revenue Code: means the "Internal Revenue Code of 1986" 100 Stat. See Ohio Code 133.01
- Internet: means the international computer network of both federal and nonfederal interoperable packet switched data networks, including the graphical subnetwork known as the world wide web. See Ohio Code 1.59
- Interrogatories: Written questions asked by one party of an opposing party, who must answer them in writing under oath; a discovery device in a lawsuit.
- Intestate: Dying without leaving a will.
- Invoice: means an itemized listing showing delivery of the supplies or performance of the service described in the order including all of the following:
(1) The date of the purchase or rendering of the service;
(2) An itemization of the things done, material supplied, or labor furnished;
(3) The sum due pursuant to the contract or obligation. See Ohio Code 125.01
- Issuer: means any public issuer and any nonprofit corporation authorized to issue securities for or on behalf of any public issuer. See Ohio Code 133.01
- Issuer: means a port authority organized and existing under applicable provisions of Chapter 4582 of the Revised Code that, pursuant to an agreement entered into under division (E) of section 150. See Ohio Code 150.01
- Joint committee: Committees including membership from both houses of teh legislature. Joint committees are usually established with narrow jurisdictions and normally lack authority to report legislation.
- Joint resolution: A legislative measure which requires the approval of both chambers.
- Judgement: The official decision of a court finally determining the respective rights and claims of the parties to a suit.
- Jurat: means a notarial act in which both of the following are met:
(1) The signer of the notarized document is required to give an oath or affirmation that the statement in the notarized document is true and correct;
(2) The signer signs the notarized document in the presence of a notary public. See Ohio Code 147.011
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Juror: A person who is on the jury.
- Killed in the line of duty: means either of the following:
(1) Death in the line of duty;
(2) Death from injury sustained in the line of duty, including heart attack or other fatal injury or illness caused while in the line of duty. See Ohio Code 143.01
- Lawsuit: A legal action started by a plaintiff against a defendant based on a complaint that the defendant failed to perform a legal duty, resulting in harm to the plaintiff.
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Legislation: means an ordinance or resolution passed by a majority affirmative vote of the then members of the taxing authority unless a different vote is required by charter provisions governing the passage of the particular legislation by the taxing authority. See Ohio Code 133.01
- Legislative session: That part of a chamber's daily session in which it considers legislative business (bills, resolutions, and actions related thereto).
- Lender: means any person that lends money to the program fund as provided in this chapter and includes any issuer and any trustee. See Ohio Code 150.01
- Liabilities: The aggregate of all debts and other legal obligations of a particular person or legal entity.
- Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt.
- Litigation: A case, controversy, or lawsuit. Participants (plaintiffs and defendants) in lawsuits are called litigants.
- Loss: means a loss incurred with respect to a lender's loan to the program fund. See Ohio Code 150.01
- Majority whip: See Whips.
- Mandatory sinking fund redemption requirements: means amounts required by proceedings to be deposited in a bond retirement fund for the purpose of paying in any year or fiscal year by mandatory redemption prior to stated maturity the principal of securities that is due and payable, except for mandatory prior redemption requirements as provided in those proceedings, in a subsequent year or fiscal year. See Ohio Code 133.01
- Mandatory sinking fund requirements: means amounts required by proceedings to be deposited in a year or fiscal year in a bond retirement fund for the purpose of paying the principal of securities that is due and payable in a subsequent year or fiscal year. See Ohio Code 133.01
- Member: includes a PERS retirant who becomes a member under division (C) of section 145. See Ohio Code 145.01
- Minority leader: See Floor Leaders
- Minority whip: See Whips.
- Mistrial: An invalid trial, caused by fundamental error. When a mistrial is declared, the trial must start again from the selection of the jury.
- Mortgage: The written agreement pledging property to a creditor as collateral for a loan.
- Mortgage loan: A loan made by a lender to a borrower for the financing of real property. Source: OCC
- Mortgagee: The person to whom property is mortgaged and who has loaned the money.
- Mortgagor: The person who pledges property to a creditor as collateral for a loan and who receives the money.
- Municipal corporation in the county: includes any municipal corporation that is wholly contained in the county and each municipal corporation located in more than one county that has a greater proportion of its territory in the county to which the term refers than in any other county. See Ohio Code 128.01
- Municipal police officer: means a member of the organized police department of a municipal corporation who is employed full time, is in compliance with section 109. See Ohio Code 145.01
- Municipal public safety director: means a person who serves full time as the public safety director of a municipal corporation with the duty of directing the activities of the municipal corporation's police department and fire department. See Ohio Code 145.01
- National Bank: A bank that is subject to the supervision of the Comptroller of the Currency. The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency is a bureau of the U.S. Treasury Department. A national bank can be recognized because it must have "national" or "national association" in its name. Source: OCC
- Natural resources law enforcement staff officer: means a full-time employee of the department of natural resources who is designated a natural resources law enforcement staff officer under section 1501. See Ohio Code 145.01
- Natural resources officer: means a full-time employee of the department of natural resources who is appointed as a natural resources officer under section 1501. See Ohio Code 145.01
- net indebtedness: means , as determined pursuant to this section, the principal amount of the outstanding securities of a subdivision less the amount held in a bond retirement fund to the extent such amount is not taken into account in determining the principal amount outstanding under division (AA) of section 133. See Ohio Code 133.04
- No true bill: A legal procedure to dismiss charges against a defendant when the grand jury does not find enough evidence to charge the defendant with violating a law. Also called a "no bill."
- Nonprofit hospital agency: means a corporation or association not for profit, no part of the net earnings of which inures or may lawfully inure to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual, that has authority to own or operate a hospital facility or provides or is to provide services to one or more other hospital agencies. See Ohio Code 140.01
- Notarial certificate: means the part of, or attachment to, a document that is completed by the notary public and upon which the notary public places the notary public's signature and seal. See Ohio Code 147.011
- Oath: includes affirmation, and "swear" includes affirm. See Ohio Code 1.59
- Oath: A promise to tell the truth.
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- Obligations: means bonds, notes, or other evidences of indebtedness or obligation, including interest coupons pertaining thereto, issued or issuable by a public hospital agency to pay costs of hospital facilities. See Ohio Code 140.01
- Ohio products: means products that are mined, excavated, produced, manufactured, raised, or grown in the state by a person where the input of Ohio products, labor, skill, or other services constitutes no less than twenty-five per cent of the manufactured cost. See Ohio Code 125.01
- Ohio service credit: means credit for service that was rendered to the state or any of its political subdivisions or any employer. See Ohio Code 145.01
- One purpose: includes , but is not limited to, in any case any off-street parking facilities relating to another permanent improvement, and:
(1) Any number of roads, highways, streets, bridges, sidewalks, and viaducts;
(2) Any number of off-street parking facilities;
(3) In the case of a county, any number of permanent improvements for courthouse, jail, county offices, and other county buildings, and related facilities;
(4) In the case of a school district, any number of facilities and buildings for school district purposes, and related facilities. See Ohio Code 133.01
- Oral argument: An opportunity for lawyers to summarize their position before the court and also to answer the judges' questions.
- Order: means a copy of a contract or a statement of the nature of a contemplated expenditure, a description of the property or supplies to be purchased or service to be performed, other than a service performed by officers and regular employees of the state, and per diem of the national guard, and the total sum of the expenditure to be made therefor, if the sum is fixed and ascertained, otherwise the estimated sum thereof, and an authorization to pay for the contemplated expenditure, signed by the person instructed and authorized to pay upon receipt of a proper invoice. See Ohio Code 125.01
- Outlays: Outlays are payments made (generally through the issuance of checks or disbursement of cash) to liquidate obligations. Outlays during a fiscal year may be for payment of obligations incurred in prior years or in the same year.
- Oversight: Committee review of the activities of a Federal agency or program.
- Park district police officer: means a full-time employee of a park district who is designated pursuant to section 511. See Ohio Code 145.01
- Participant account: means any of the following accounts:
(a) An account that is maintained by the Ohio public employees deferred compensation board and that evidences moneys that have been deferred by, or on behalf of, a continuing member or participating employee and transmitted to the board by the retirement system of the continuing member or participating employee;
(b) An account that is maintained by the governing board, administrator, depository, or trustee of a deferred compensation program of a municipal corporation and that evidences moneys that have been deferred by an officer or employee of that municipal corporation and transmitted to the governing board, administrator, depository, or trustee by the retirement system of the officer or employee or in another manner;
(c) An account that is maintained by a governing board, as defined in section 148. See Ohio Code 148.01
- Participating employee: means any eligible employee who is having compensation deferred pursuant to either of the following:
(a) An agreement that is entered into before the compensation is earned and that is with the eligible employee's employer and the Ohio public employees deferred compensation board;
(b) Automatic enrollment in the Ohio public employees deferred compensation program under section 148. See Ohio Code 148.01
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Paying agent: means the one or more banks, trust companies, or other financial institutions or qualified persons, including an appropriate office or officer of the subdivision, designated as a paying agent or place of payment of debt charges on the particular securities. See Ohio Code 133.01
- Pension reserve: means the present value, computed upon the basis of the mortality and other tables adopted by the board, of all payments to be made on account of any retirement allowance or benefit in lieu of any retirement allowance, granted to a member or beneficiary under this chapter. See Ohio Code 145.01
- Pensions: means annual payments for life derived from contributions made by the employer that at the time of retirement are credited into the annuity and pension reserve fund from the employers' accumulation fund and paid from the annuity and pension reserve fund as provided in this chapter. See Ohio Code 145.01
- PERS defined benefit plan: means the plan described in sections 145. See Ohio Code 145.01
- PERS defined contribution plans: means the plan or plans established under section 145. See Ohio Code 145.01
- PERS law enforcement officer: means a sheriff or any of the following whose primary duties are to preserve the peace, protect life and property, and enforce the laws of this state: a deputy sheriff, township constable or police officer in a township police department or district, drug agent, department of public safety enforcement agent, natural resources law enforcement staff officer, wildlife officer, forest-fire investigator, natural resources officer, park district police officer, conservancy district officer, veterans' home police officer, special police officer for a mental health institution, special police officer for an institution for persons with developmental disabilities, state university law enforcement officer, municipal police officer, house sergeant at arms, assistant house sergeant at arms, regional transit authority police officer, or state highway patrol police officer. See Ohio Code 145.01
- PERS public safety officer: means a Hamilton county municipal court bailiff, or any of the following whose primary duties are other than to preserve the peace, protect life and property, and enforce the laws of this state: a deputy sheriff, township constable or police officer in a township police department or district, drug agent, department of public safety enforcement agent, natural resources law enforcement staff officer, wildlife officer, forest-fire investigator, natural resources officer, park district police officer, conservancy district officer, veterans' home police officer, special police officer for a mental health institution, special police officer for an institution for persons with developmental disabilities, state university law enforcement officer, municipal police officer, house sergeant at arms, assistant house sergeant at arms, regional transit authority police officer, or state highway patrol police officer. See Ohio Code 145.01
- Person: includes an individual, corporation, business trust, estate, trust, partnership, and association. See Ohio Code 1.59
- Person: has the meaning defined in section 1. See Ohio Code 117.01
- Personal property: All property that is not real property.
- Physician assistant: means an individual who is licensed under Chapter 4730 of the Revised Code to provide services as a physician assistant to patients under the supervision, control, and direction of one or more physicians. See Ohio Code 1.64
- Plaintiff: The person who files the complaint in a civil lawsuit.
- Plea: In a criminal case, the defendant's statement pleading "guilty" or "not guilty" in answer to the charges, a declaration made in open court.
- Plea agreement: An arrangement between the prosecutor, the defense attorney, and the defendant in which the defendant agrees to plead guilty in exchange for special considerations. Source:
- Pleadings: Written statements of the parties in a civil case of their positions. In the federal courts, the principal pleadings are the complaint and the answer.
- Population: means that shown by the most recent regular federal census. See Ohio Code 1.59
- Power of attorney: A written instrument which authorizes one person to act as another's agent or attorney. The power of attorney may be for a definite, specific act, or it may be general in nature. The terms of the written power of attorney may specify when it will expire. If not, the power of attorney usually expires when the person granting it dies. Source: OCC
- President pro tempore: A constitutionally recognized officer of the Senate who presides over the chamber in the absence of the Vice President. The President Pro Tempore (or, "president for a time") is elected by the Senate and is, by custom, the Senator of the majority party with the longest record of continuous service.
- Presiding officer: A majority-party Senator who presides over the Senate and is charged with maintaining order and decorum, recognizing Members to speak, and interpreting the Senate's rules, practices and precedents.
- Principal amount: means the aggregate of the amount as stated or provided for in the legislation authorizing the public obligations as the amount on which interest or interest equivalent is initially calculated. See Ohio Code 133.03
- Principal payments: means the payments of or on account of the principal amount as defined in division (G)(1) of this section. See Ohio Code 133.03
- Pro se: A Latin term meaning "on one's own behalf"; in courts, it refers to persons who present their own cases without lawyers.
- Probable cause: A reasonable ground for belief that the offender violated a specific law.
- Probate: Proving a will
- Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed.
- Proceedings: means the legislation, certifications, notices, orders, sale proceedings, trust agreement or indenture, mortgage, lease, lease-purchase agreement, assignment, credit enhancement facility agreements, and other agreements, instruments, and documents, as amended and supplemented, and any election proceedings, authorizing, or providing for the terms and conditions applicable to, or providing for the security or sale or award of, public obligations, and includes the provisions set forth or incorporated in those public obligations and proceedings. See Ohio Code 133.01
- Produced: means the manufacturing, processing, mining, developing, and making of a thing into a new article with a distinct character in use through the application of input, within the state, of Ohio products, labor, skill, or other services. See Ohio Code 125.01
- Products: means materials, manufacturer's supplies, merchandise, goods, wares, and foodstuffs. See Ohio Code 125.01
- Professional personnel: means either of the following:
(a) Personnel who have earned a bachelor's degree from a college or university;
(b) Personnel who serve as or have the working title of director, assistant director, deputy director, assistant deputy director, manager, office chief, assistant office chief, or program director. See Ohio Code 122.01
- Program fund: means the fund created under section 150. See Ohio Code 150.01
- Property: means real and personal property. See Ohio Code 1.59
- Prosecute: To charge someone with a crime. A prosecutor tries a criminal case on behalf of the government.
- Provider of a prepaid wireless calling service: means a wireless service provider that provides a prepaid wireless calling service. See Ohio Code 128.01
- Public accountant: means any person who is authorized by Chapter 4701 of the Revised Code to use the designation of certified public accountant or who was registered prior to January 1, 1971, as a public accountant. See Ohio Code 117.01
- public agency: includes a regional council of governments established under Chapter 167 of the Revised Code. See Ohio Code 102.01
- Public debt: Cumulative amounts borrowed by the Treasury Department or the Federal Financing Bank from the public or from another fund or account. The public debt does not include agency debt (amounts borrowed by other agencies of the Federal Government). The total public debt is subject to a statutory limit.
- Public defender: Represent defendants who can't afford an attorney in criminal matters.
- Public employee: means :
(1) Any person holding an office, not elective, under the state or any county, township, municipal corporation, park district, conservancy district, sanitary district, health district, metropolitan housing authority, state retirement board, Ohio history connection, public library, county law library, union cemetery, joint hospital, institutional commissary, state university, or board, bureau, commission, council, committee, authority, or administrative body as the same are, or have been, created by action of the general assembly or by the legislative authority of any of the units of local government named in division (A)(1) of this section, or employed and paid in whole or in part by the state or any of the authorities named in division (A)(1) of this section in any capacity not covered by section 742. See Ohio Code 145.01
- public employer: means the state or any county, township, municipal corporation, park district, conservancy district, sanitary district, health district, metropolitan housing authority, state retirement board, Ohio history connection, public library, county law library, union cemetery, joint hospital, institutional commissary, state medical university, state university, or board, bureau, commission, council, committee, authority, or administrative body as the same are, or have been, created by action of the general assembly or by the legislative authority of any of the units of local government named in this division not covered by section 742. See Ohio Code 145.01
- Public hospital agency: means any county, board of county hospital trustees established pursuant to section 339. See Ohio Code 140.01
- Public issuer: means any of the following that is authorized by law to issue securities or enter into public obligations:
(1) The state, including an agency, commission, officer, institution, board, authority, or other instrumentality of the state;
(2) A taxing authority, subdivision, district, or other local public or governmental entity, and any combination or consortium, or public division, district, commission, authority, department, board, officer, or institution, thereof;
(3) Any other body corporate and politic, or other public entity. See Ohio Code 133.01
- Public law: A public bill or joint resolution that has passed both chambers and been enacted into law. Public laws have general applicability nationwide.
- Public money: means any money received, collected by, or due a public official under color of office, as well as any money collected by any individual on behalf of a public office or as a purported representative or agent of the public office. See Ohio Code 117.01
- Public obligations: means both of the following:
(2) Obligations of a public issuer to make payments under installment sale, lease, lease purchase, or similar agreements, which obligations may bear interest or interest equivalent. See Ohio Code 133.01
- Public office: includes any state agency, public institution, political subdivision, or other organized body, office, agency, institution, or entity established by the laws of this state for the exercise of any function of government. See Ohio Code 149.011
- Public office: means any state agency, public institution, political subdivision, other organized body, office, agency, institution, or entity established by the laws of this state for the exercise of any function of government. See Ohio Code 117.01
- Public official: includes all officers, employees, or duly authorized representatives or agents of a public office. See Ohio Code 149.011
- Public official: means any officer, employee, or duly authorized representative or agent of a public office. See Ohio Code 117.01
- Public official or employee: means any person who is elected or appointed to an office or is an employee of any public agency. See Ohio Code 102.01
- Public safety answering point: means a facility to which 9-1-1 system calls for a specific territory are initially routed for response and where personnel respond to specific requests for emergency service by directly dispatching the appropriate emergency service provider, relaying a message to the appropriate provider, or transferring the call to the appropriate provider. See Ohio Code 128.01
- Purchase: means to buy, rent, lease, lease purchase, or otherwise acquire supplies or services. See Ohio Code 125.01
- Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business.
- Ranking minority member: The highest ranking (and usually longest serving) minority member of a committee or subcommittee.
- Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land.
- Recess: A temporary interruption of the legislative business.
- Records: includes any document, device, or item, regardless of physical form or characteristic, including an electronic record as defined in section 1306. See Ohio Code 149.011
- Refund: means to fund and retire outstanding securities, including advance refunding with or without payment or redemption prior to maturity. See Ohio Code 133.01
- Regional transit authority police officer: means a person who is employed full time as a regional transit authority police officer under division (Y) of section 306. See Ohio Code 145.01
- Register: means the books kept and maintained by the registrar for registration, exchange, and transfer of registered securities. See Ohio Code 133.01
- Registered mail: includes certified mail and "certified mail" includes registered mail. See Ohio Code 1.02
- Registrar: means the person responsible for keeping the register for the particular registered securities, designated by or pursuant to the proceedings. See Ohio Code 133.01
- Regular interest: means interest at any rates for the respective funds and accounts as the public employees retirement board may determine from time to time. See Ohio Code 145.01
- Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.
- Rescission: The cancellation of budget authority previously provided by Congress. The Impoundment Control Act of 1974 specifies that the President may propose to Congress that funds be rescinded. If both Houses have not approved a rescission proposal (by passing legislation) within 45 days of continuous session, any funds being withheld must be made available for obligation.
- Reseller: means a nonfacilities-based provider of wireless service that provides wireless service under its own name to one or more end users in this state using the network of a wireless service provider. See Ohio Code 128.01
- Restitution: The court-ordered payment of money by the defendant to the victim for damages caused by the criminal action.
- Retirant: means any former member who retires and is receiving a monthly allowance as provided in sections 145. See Ohio Code 145.01
- Retirement allowance: means the pension plus that portion of the benefit derived from contributions made by the member. See Ohio Code 145.01
- Rule: includes regulation. See Ohio Code 1.59
- Sales tax supported: means obligations to the payment of debt charges on which an additional sales tax or additional sales taxes have been pledged by the taxing authority of a county pursuant to section 133. See Ohio Code 133.01
- Secretary of health and human services: includes any individual to whom the secretary delegates any of his functions under the "Social Security Act" with respect to coverage under such act of employees of states and their subordinate units of government. See Ohio Code 144.01
- Securities: means bonds, notes, certificates of indebtedness, commercial paper, and other instruments in writing, including, unless the context does not admit, anticipatory securities, issued by an issuer to evidence its obligation to repay money borrowed, or to pay interest, by, or to pay at any future time other money obligations of, the issuer of the securities, but not including public obligations described in division (GG)(2) of this section. See Ohio Code 133.01
- Self-supporting securities: means securities or portions of securities issued for the purpose of paying costs of permanent improvements to the extent that receipts of the subdivision, other than the proceeds of taxes levied by that subdivision, derived from or with respect to the improvements or the operation of the improvements being financed, or the enterprise, system, project, or category of improvements of which the improvements being financed are part, are estimated by the fiscal officer to be sufficient to pay the current expenses of that operation or of those improvements or enterprise, system, project, or categories of improvements and the debt charges payable from those receipts on securities issued for the purpose. See Ohio Code 133.01
- Seller: means a person that sells a prepaid wireless calling service to another person by retail sale. See Ohio Code 128.01
- Service of process: The service of writs or summonses to the appropriate party.
- Services: means the furnishing of labor, time, or effort by a person, not involving the delivery of a specific end product other than a report which, if provided, is merely incidental to the required performance. See Ohio Code 125.01
- Settlement: Parties to a lawsuit resolve their difference without having a trial. Settlements often involve the payment of compensation by one party in satisfaction of the other party's claims.
- Special police officer for a mental health institution: means any person who is designated as such pursuant to section 5119. See Ohio Code 145.01
- Special police officer for a municipal airport: means a person to whom both of the following apply:
(1) The person is employed full time as a special police officer with a municipal corporation at a municipal airport or other municipal air navigation facility that meets both of the following requirements:
(a) The airport or navigation facility has scheduled operations, as defined in 14 C. See Ohio Code 145.01
- Special police officer for a port authority: means a person who is in compliance with section 109. See Ohio Code 145.01
- Special police officer for an institution for persons with intellectual disabilities: means any person who is designated as such pursuant to section 5123. See Ohio Code 145.01
- state: means the state of Ohio. See Ohio Code 1.59
- state agency: except as otherwise provided in the title, means every organized body, office, or agency established by the laws of the state for the exercise of any function of state government. See Ohio Code 1.60
- State agency: means that agency which the governor designates to carry out this chapter. See Ohio Code 144.01
- State agency: includes every department, bureau, board, commission, office, or other organized body established by the constitution and laws of this state for the exercise of any function of state government, including any state-supported institution of higher education, the general assembly, any legislative agency, any court or judicial agency, or any political subdivision or agency of a political subdivision. See Ohio Code 149.011
- State agency: means every organized body, office, agency, institution, or other entity established by the laws of the state for the exercise of any function of state government. See Ohio Code 117.01
- State highway patrol police officer: means a special police officer employed full time and designated by the superintendent of the state highway patrol pursuant to section 5503. See Ohio Code 145.01
- State retirement board: means the public employees retirement board, the school employees retirement board, or the state teachers retirement board. See Ohio Code 145.01
- State service: includes all offices and positions in the service of the state and the counties and general health districts of the state. See Ohio Code 124.01
- State university law enforcement officer: means any person who is employed full time as a state university law enforcement officer pursuant to section 3345. See Ohio Code 145.01
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- Statute of limitations: A law that sets the time within which parties must take action to enforce their rights.
- Steering committee: means the statewide emergency services internet protocol network steering committee established by division (A)(1) of section 128. See Ohio Code 128.01
- Subdivision: means a county, municipal corporation, township, township fire district, joint fire district, township police district, joint police district, joint ambulance district, or joint emergency medical services district that provides emergency service within its territory, or that contracts with another municipal corporation, township, or district or with a private entity to provide such service; and a state college or university, port authority, or park district of any kind that employs law enforcement officers that act as the primary police force on the grounds of the college or university or port authority or in the parks operated by the district. See Ohio Code 128.01
- Subdivision: means any of the following:
(1) A county, including a county that has adopted a charter under Article X, Ohio Constitution;
(2) A municipal corporation, including a municipal corporation that has adopted a charter under Article XVIII, Ohio Constitution;
(3) A school district;
(4) A regional water and sewer district organized under Chapter 6119 of the Revised Code;
(5) A joint township hospital district organized under section 513. See Ohio Code 133.01
- Subpoena: A command to a witness to appear and give testimony.
- Subpoena duces tecum: A command to a witness to produce documents.
- Summons: Another word for subpoena used by the criminal justice system.
- Supplies: means all property, including, but not limited to, equipment, materials, other tangible assets, and insurance, but excluding real property or an interest in real property. See Ohio Code 125.01
- Tax limitation: means the "ten-mill limitation" as defined in section 5705. See Ohio Code 133.01
- Tax valuation: means the aggregate of the valuations of property subject to ad valorem property taxation by the subdivision on the real property, personal property, and public utility property tax lists and duplicates most recently certified for collection, and shall be calculated without deductions of the valuations of otherwise taxable property exempt in whole or in part from taxation by reason of exemptions of certain amounts of taxable value under division (C) of section 5709. See Ohio Code 133.01
- Taxing authority: means in the case of the following subdivisions:
(1) A county, a county library district, or a regional library district, the board or boards of county commissioners, or other legislative authority of a county that has adopted a charter under Article X, Ohio Constitution, but with respect to such a library district acting solely as agent for the board of trustees of that district;
(2) A municipal corporation, the legislative authority;
(3) A school district, the board of education;
(4) A regional water and sewer district, a joint ambulance district, a joint recreation district, a fire and ambulance district, or a joint fire district, the board of trustees of the district;
(5) A joint township hospital district, the joint township hospital board;
(6) A detention facility district or a district organized under section 2151. See Ohio Code 133.01
- Technical personnel: means any of the following:
(a) Personnel who provide technical assistance according to their job description or in accordance with the Revised Code;
(b) Personnel employed in the director of development's office or the legal office, communications office, finance office, legislative affairs office, or human resources office of the department of development;
(c) Personnel employed in the technology division of the department. See Ohio Code 122.01
- telephone company: includes a wireline service provider, a wireless service provider, and any entity that is a cover ed 9-1-1 service provider under 47 C. See Ohio Code 128.01
- Testify: Answer questions in court.
- Testimony: Evidence presented orally by witnesses during trials or before grand juries.
- Tort: A civil wrong or breach of a duty to another person, as outlined by law. A very common tort is negligent operation of a motor vehicle that results in property damage and personal injury in an automobile accident.
- Totally and permanently disabled: means unable to engage in any substantial gainful employment for a period of not less than twelve months by reason of a medically determinable physical impairment that is permanent or presumed to be permanent. See Ohio Code 143.01
- Tourism development district revenue supported: means obligations to the payment of debt charges on which tourism development district revenue has been pledged by the taxing authority of a municipal corporation or township under section 133. See Ohio Code 133.01
- Township constable or police officer in a township police department or district: means any person who is commissioned and employed as a full-time peace officer pursuant to Chapter 505. See Ohio Code 145.01
- Transcript: A written, word-for-word record of what was said, either in a proceeding such as a trial or during some other conversation, as in a transcript of a hearing or oral deposition.
- Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence.
- True bill: Another word for indictment.
- Trust account: A general term that covers all types of accounts in a trust department, such as estates, guardianships, and agencies. Source: OCC
- Trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust.
- Trustee: means a trust company or a bank with corporate trust powers, in either case having a place of business in this state, being a taxpayer under Chapter 5707. See Ohio Code 150.01
- Trustor: The person who makes or creates a trust. Also known as the grantor or settlor.
- Undertaking: includes a bond. See Ohio Code 1.02
- Uniform Commercial Code: A set of statutes enacted by the various states to provide consistency among the states' commercial laws. It includes negotiable instruments, sales, stock transfers, trust and warehouse receipts, and bills of lading. Source: OCC
- United States: includes all the states. See Ohio Code 1.59
- Uphold: The decision of an appellate court not to reverse a lower court decision.
- User fees: Fees charged to users of goods or services provided by the government. In levying or authorizing these fees, the legislature determines whether the revenue should go into the treasury or should be available to the agency providing the goods or services.
- Variable Rate: Having a "variable" rate means that the APR changes from time to time based on fluctuations in an external rate, normally the Prime Rate. This external rate is known as the "index." If the index changes, the variable rate normally changes. Also see Fixed Rate.
- Venue: The geographical location in which a case is tried.
- Verdict: The decision of a petit jury or a judge.
- Veto: The procedure established under the Constitution by which the President/Governor refuses to approve a bill or joint resolution and thus prevents its enactment into law. A regular veto occurs when the President/Governor returns the legislation to the house in which it originated. The President/Governor usually returns a vetoed bill with a message indicating his reasons for rejecting the measure. In Congress, the veto can be overridden only by a two-thirds vote in both the Senate and the House.
- Victim advocate: work with prosecutors and assist the victims of a crime.
- Volunteer peace officer: means any person who is employed as a police officer, sheriff's deputy, constable, or deputy marshal in a part-time, reserve, or volunteer capacity by a county sheriff's department or the police department of a municipal corporation, township, township police district, or joint police district and is not either of the following:
(1) A member of the public employees retirement system, Ohio police and fire pension fund, state highway patrol retirement system, or the Cincinnati retirement system;
(2) A retirant as defined in section 145. See Ohio Code 143.01
- Wages: means all remuneration for employment as defined in this section, including the cash value of all remuneration paid in any medium other than cash, but does not include that part of such remuneration which, even if it were for "employment" within the meaning of the "Federal Insurance Contributions Act" would not constitute "wages" within the meaning of that act. See Ohio Code 144.01
- Whoever: includes all persons, natural and artificial; partners; principals, agents, and employees; and all officials, public or private. See Ohio Code 1.02
- Wildlife officer: means a full-time employee of the department of natural resources who is designated a wildlife officer under section 1531. See Ohio Code 145.01
- Wireless service: means federally licensed commercial mobile service as defined in 47 U. See Ohio Code 128.01
- Wireless service provider: means a facilities-based provider of wireless service to one or more end users in this state. See Ohio Code 128.01
- Wireline service: means basic local exchange service, as defined in section 4927. See Ohio Code 128.01
- Wireline service provider: means a facilities-based provider of wireline service to one or more end-users in this state. See Ohio Code 128.01
- Wireline telephone network: means the selective router and data base processing systems, trunking and data wiring cross connection points at the public safety answering point, and all other voice and data components of the 9-1-1 system. See Ohio Code 128.01
- Writ: A formal written command, issued from the court, requiring the performance of a specific act.
- Year: means the calendar year. See Ohio Code 133.01