As used in any statute, unless another definition is provided in that statute or a related statute:
Terms Used In Ohio Code 1.59
- Another: when used to designate the owner of property which is the subject of an offense, includes not only natural persons but also every other owner of property. See Ohio Code 1.02
- Child: includes child by adoption. See Ohio Code 1.59
- Codicil: An addition, change, or supplement to a will executed with the same formalities required for the will itself.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Personal property: All property that is not real property.
- state: means the state of Ohio. See Ohio Code 1.59
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- United States: includes all the states. See Ohio Code 1.59
(A) “Child” includes child by adoption.
(B) “Oath” includes affirmation, and “swear” includes affirm.
(C) “Person” includes an individual, corporation, business trust, estate, trust, partnership, and association.
(D) “Population” means that shown by the most recent regular federal census.
(E) “Property” means real and personal property.
(F) “Rule” includes regulation.
(G) “State,” when applied to a part of the United States, includes any state, district, commonwealth, territory, insular possession thereof, and any area subject to the legislative authority of the United States of America. “This state” or “the state” means the state of Ohio.
(H) “United States” includes all the states.
(I) “Will” includes codicil.
(J) “Written” or “in writing” includes any representation of words, letters, symbols, or figures; this provision does not affect any law relating to signatures.
(K) “Internet” means the international computer network of both federal and nonfederal interoperable packet switched data networks, including the graphical subnetwork known as the world wide web.
Effective Date: 01-03-1972; 11-05-2004 .