Terms Used In Ohio Code > Chapter 3704 - Air Pollution Control
- Administrator: means the administrator of the United States environmental protection agency or the chief executive of any successor federal agency responsible for implementation of the federal Clean Air Act. See Ohio Code 3704.01
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- Air contaminant: means particulate matter, dust, fumes, gas, mist, radionuclides, smoke, vapor, or odorous substances, or any combination thereof, but does not mean emissions from agricultural production activities, as defined in section 929. See Ohio Code 3704.01
- Air contaminant source: means each separate operation or activity that results or may result in the emission of any air contaminant. See Ohio Code 3704.01
- Air pollution: means the presence in the ambient air of one or more air contaminants or any combination thereof in sufficient quantity and of such characteristics and duration as is or threatens to be injurious to human health or welfare, plant or animal life, or property, or as unreasonably interferes with the comfortable enjoyment of life or property. See Ohio Code 3704.01
- Ambient air: means that portion of the atmosphere outside of buildings and other enclosures, stacks, or ducts that surrounds human, plant, or animal life or property. See Ohio Code 3704.01
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Another: when used to designate the owner of property which is the subject of an offense, includes not only natural persons but also every other owner of property. See Ohio Code 1.02
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Arrest: Taking physical custody of a person by lawful authority.
- Best available technology: means any combination of work practices, raw material specifications, throughput limitations, source design characteristics, an evaluation of the annualized cost per ton of pollutant removed, and air pollution control devices that have been previously demonstrated to the director of environmental protection to operate satisfactorily in this state or other states with similar air quality on substantially similar air pollution sources. See Ohio Code 3704.01
- Bond: includes an undertaking. See Ohio Code 1.02
- Change within a permitted facility: means , within the context of the Title V permit program established under section 3704. See Ohio Code 3704.01
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Deposition: An oral statement made before an officer authorized by law to administer oaths. Such statements are often taken to examine potential witnesses, to obtain discovery, or to be used later in trial.
- emission: means the release into the ambient air of an air contaminant. See Ohio Code 3704.01
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Federal Clean Air Act: means "Air Quality Act of 1967" 81 Stat. See Ohio Code 3704.01
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Hazardous air pollutant: means any pollutant listed under section 112(b) of the federal Clean Air Act. See Ohio Code 3704.01
- Implementation plan: means a program for the prevention and abatement of air pollution in the state that has been promulgated or approved by the administrator pursuant to the federal Clean Air Act. See Ohio Code 3704.01
- in writing: includes any representation of words, letters, symbols, or figures; this provision does not affect any law relating to signatures. See Ohio Code 1.59
- Injunction: An order of the court prohibiting (or compelling) the performance of a specific act to prevent irreparable damage or injury.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Local air pollution control authority: includes all of the following unless terminated by the political subdivisions represented thereby:
(1) All of the following agencies representing the following political subdivisions, as those agencies existed on July 1, 1993:
(a) The Akron regional air quality management district representing Medina, Summit, and Portage counties;
(b) The Canton city health department representing Stark county;
(c) The Hamilton county department of environmental services, southwest Ohio air quality agency representing Butler, Warren, Hamilton, and Clermont counties;
(d) The city of Cleveland division of the environment representing Cuyahoga county;
(e) The regional air pollution control agency representing Darke, Preble, Miami, Montgomery, Clark, and Greene counties;
(f) The Lake county general health district representing Lake and Geauga counties;
(g) The Portsmouth city health department representing Brown, Adams, Scioto, and Lawrence counties;
(h) The city of Toledo division of pollution control representing Lucas county and the city of Rossford in Wood county. See Ohio Code 3704.01
- Minority leader: See Floor Leaders
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Person: means the federal government or any agency thereof, the state or any agency thereof, any political subdivision or any agency thereof, or any public or private corporation, individual, partnership, or other entity. See Ohio Code 3704.01
- Population: means that shown by the most recent regular federal census. See Ohio Code 1.59
- Property: means real and personal property. See Ohio Code 1.59
- Prosecute: To charge someone with a crime. A prosecutor tries a criminal case on behalf of the government.
- Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.
- Rescission: The cancellation of budget authority previously provided by Congress. The Impoundment Control Act of 1974 specifies that the President may propose to Congress that funds be rescinded. If both Houses have not approved a rescission proposal (by passing legislation) within 45 days of continuous session, any funds being withheld must be made available for obligation.
- Research and development sources: means sources whose activities are conducted for nonprofit scientific or educational purposes; sources whose activities are conducted to test more efficient production processes or methods for preventing or reducing adverse environmental impacts, provided that the activities do not include the production of an intermediate or final product for sale or exchange for commercial profit, except in a de minimis manner; a research or laboratory source the primary purpose of which is to conduct research and development into new processes and products, that is operated under the close supervision of technically trained personnel, and that is not engaged in the manufacture of products for sale or exchange for commercial profit, except in a de minimis manner; the temporary use of normal production sources in a research and development mode to test the technical or commercial viability of alternative raw materials or production processes, provided that the use does not include the production of an intermediate or final product for sale or exchange for commercial profit, except in a de minimis manner; the experimental firing of any fuel or combination of fuels in a boiler, heater, furnace, or dryer for the purpose of conducting research and development of more efficient combustion or more effective prevention or control of air pollutant emissions, provided that, during those periods of research and development, the heat generated is not used for normal production purposes or for producing a product for sale or exchange for commercial profit, except in a de minimis manner; and such other similar sources as the director may prescribe by rule. See Ohio Code 3704.01
- Responsible official: means one of the following, as applicable:
(1) For a corporation: a president, secretary, treasurer, or vice-president of the corporation in charge of a principal business function, any other person who performs similar policy or decision-making functions for the corporation, or a duly authorized representative of any such person if the representative is responsible for the overall operation of one or more manufacturing, production, or operating facilities applying for or subject to a Title V permit and if one of the following applies:
(a) The facilities employ more than two hundred fifty individuals or have gross annual sales or expenditures exceeding twenty-five million dollars, in second quarter 1980 dollars;
(b) The delegation of authority to the representative is approved in advance by the director. See Ohio Code 3704.01
- Rule: includes regulation. See Ohio Code 1.59
- Settlement: Parties to a lawsuit resolve their difference without having a trial. Settlements often involve the payment of compensation by one party in satisfaction of the other party's claims.
- Small business stationary source: means any building, structure, facility, or installation that emits any federally regulated air pollutant and is owned or operated by a person who employs one hundred or fewer individuals; is a small business concern as defined in the "Small Business Act" 72 Stat. See Ohio Code 3704.01
- state: means the state of Ohio. See Ohio Code 1.59
- Temporary restraining order: Prohibits a person from an action that is likely to cause irreparable harm. This differs from an injunction in that it may be granted immediately, without notice to the opposing party, and without a hearing. It is intended to last only until a hearing can be held.
- Testimony: Evidence presented orally by witnesses during trials or before grand juries.
- Title V permit: means an operating permit required to be issued by the state under section 502 of the federal Clean Air Act and issued under section 3704. See Ohio Code 3704.01
- United States: includes all the states. See Ohio Code 1.59
- Whoever: includes all persons, natural and artificial; partners; principals, agents, and employees; and all officials, public or private. See Ohio Code 1.02