Ohio Code > Chapter 3739 – Reduced Ignition Propensity Standards for Cigarettes
Terms Used In Ohio Code > Chapter 3739 - Reduced Ignition Propensity Standards for Cigarettes
- Agent: means any person licensed by a county auditor or the tax commissioner to purchase and affix adhesive or meter stamps on packages of cigarettes pursuant to Chapter 5743. See Ohio Code 3739.01
- Another: when used to designate the owner of property which is the subject of an offense, includes not only natural persons but also every other owner of property. See Ohio Code 1.02
- Brand family: means all styles of cigarettes sold under the same trademark and differentiated from one another by means of additional modifiers or descriptors, including, but not limited to, "menthol" "lights" "kings" and "100s. See Ohio Code 3739.01
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Manufacturer: means either of the following:
(1) Any entity or the entity's successor that, in any location, manufactures or otherwise produces cigarettes, or causes cigarettes to be manufactured or produced, that the entity intends to be sold in this state, including, but not limited to, cigarettes intended to be sold in the United States through an importer;
(2) Any entity or the entity's successor that meets both of the following criteria:
(a) Purchases cigarettes, in any location, from a second entity that manufactures or otherwise produces cigarettes in any location when that second entity does not intend that the cigarettes it manufactures be sold in the United States;
(b) Intends to resell the cigarettes described in division (D)(2)(a) of this section in the United States. See Ohio Code 3739.01
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Person: includes an individual, corporation, business trust, estate, trust, partnership, and association. See Ohio Code 1.59
- Quality control and quality assurance program: means the procedures a laboratory implements to ensure both of the following:
(1) Operator bias, systematic and nonsystematic methodological errors, and equipment-related problems do not affect cigarette test results. See Ohio Code 3739.01
- Repeatability: means the range of values within which ninety-five per cent of the results of cigarette test trials from a single laboratory will fall. See Ohio Code 3739.01
- state: means the state of Ohio. See Ohio Code 1.59
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence.
- United States: includes all the states. See Ohio Code 1.59
- Wholesale dealer: means either of the following persons:
(1) A person, other than a manufacturer, who sells cigarettes to retail dealers or other persons for purposes of resale;
(2) A person who owns, operates, or maintains one or more cigarette vending machines upon premises owned or occupied by any other person. See Ohio Code 3739.01