Terms Used In Oregon Statutes > Chapter 174 > General Definitions > Miscellaneous
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- Answer: The formal written statement by a defendant responding to a civil complaint and setting forth the grounds for defense.
- Any other state: includes any state and the District of Columbia. See Oregon Statutes 174.100
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- County court: includes board of county commissioners. See Oregon Statutes 174.100
- Dependent: A person dependent for support upon another.
- Dismissal: The dropping of a case by the judge without further consideration or hearing. Source:
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Oath: A promise to tell the truth.
- Person: includes individuals, corporations, associations, firms, partnerships, limited liability companies and joint stock companies. See Oregon Statutes 174.100
- person with a disability: means any person who:
(a) Has a physical or mental impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activities;
(b) Has a record of such an impairment; or
(c) Is regarded as having such an impairment. See Oregon Statutes 174.107
- Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed.
- Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business.
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- Subpoena: A command to a witness to appear and give testimony.
- United States: includes territories, outlying possessions and the District of Columbia. See Oregon Statutes 174.100
- wife: means spouses or a spouse in a marriage. See Oregon Statutes 174.100