(B) The trust established for the applicant must meet the following criteria:
Terms Used In South Carolina Code 44-6-720
- beneficiary: A person who is entitled to receive the benefits or proceeds of a will, trust, insurance policy, retirement plan, annuity, or other contract. Source: OCC
- dependent: A person dependent for support upon another.
- remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.
- trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust.
(1) the applicant’s monthly gross income from all sources, without reference to the trust, exceeds the income eligibility standard for Medicaid then in effect but is less than the average private pay rate for nursing home care for the State;
(2) the property used to fund the trust is limited to monthly unearned income owned by the applicant, including any pension payment;
(3) the applicant and the state Medicaid program are the sole beneficiaries of the trust;
(4) the entire income and corpus of the trust, or as much as may be distributed each month without violating federal requirements for federal financial participation, must be distributed each month for expenses related to the applicant’s nursing home care that are approved under the Medicaid program, except that:
(a) an amount reasonably necessary to maintain the existence of the trust, as approved by the Medicaid program, may be retained in the trust; and
(b) deductions may be distributed from the trust to the same extent deductions from the income of a nursing home resident who is not a trust beneficiary are allowed under the Medicaid program, which shall include:
(i) monthly personal needs allowance;
(ii) payments to the beneficiary’s community spouse or dependent family members as provided and in accordance with state and federal law;
(iii) specified health insurance costs and special medical services provided under Title XIX of the federal "Social Security Act", 42 U.S.C. Section 1396a(r), as amended; and
(iv) other deductions provided in regulations of the State Health and Human Services Finance Commission;
(5) upon the death of the beneficiary, a remainder interest in the corpus of the trust passes to the State Health and Human Services Finance Commission. The commission shall remit the state share of the trust to the general fund; and
(6) the trust is not subject to modification by the beneficiary or the trustee without the approval of the state Medicaid program.