South Carolina Code > Title 17 > Chapter 29 – Pen Registers and Trap and Trace Devices
Current as of: 2022 | Check for updates | Other versions
Terms Used In South Carolina Code > Title 17 > Chapter 29 - Pen Registers and Trap and Trace Devices
- Advice and consent: Under the Constitution, presidential nominations for executive and judicial posts take effect only when confirmed by the Senate, and international treaties become effective only when the Senate approves them by a two-thirds vote.
- Agency: means any state officer, department, board, commission, committee, institution, bureau, division, or other person or functional group that is authorized to exercise or that does exercise any executive or administrative function of government in the State; when the term "local agency" is used, it shall be construed to mean local political subdivisions of the State; when the term "federal agency" is used, it shall be construed to mean any agency of the government of the United States of America;
(2) "Director" means the Director for the Division of State Development. See South Carolina Code 13-1-310
- Concurrent resolution: A legislative measure, designated "S. Con. Res." and numbered consecutively upon introduction, generally employed to address the sentiments of both chambers, to deal with issues or matters affecting both houses, such as a concurrent budget resolution, or to create a temporary joint committee. Concurrent resolutions are not submitted to the President/Governor and thus do not have the force of law.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Deed: The legal instrument used to transfer title in real property from one person to another.
- Director: means the Director for the Division of Savannah Valley Development. See South Carolina Code 13-1-610
- Division: means the Division of State Development. See South Carolina Code 13-1-310
- Division: means the Division of Savannah Valley Development. See South Carolina Code 13-1-610
- Fee simple: Absolute title to property with no limitations or restrictions regarding the person who may inherit it.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt.
- Mortgage: The written agreement pledging property to a creditor as collateral for a loan.
- Oath: A promise to tell the truth.
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- pen register: means a device which records or decodes electronic or other impulses which identify the numbers dialed or otherwise transmitted on the telephone line to which the device is attached, but this term does not include any device used by a provider or customer of a wire or electronic communication service for billing, or recording as an incident to billing, for communications services provided by the provider, or any device used by a provider or customer of a wire communication service for cost accounting or other like purposes in the ordinary course of its business. See South Carolina Code 17-29-10
- Personal property: All property that is not real property.
- Probable cause: A reasonable ground for belief that the offender violated a specific law.
- Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business.
- Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land.
- Secretary: means the Secretary of Commerce. See South Carolina Code 13-1-310
- Secretary: means the Secretary of Commerce. See South Carolina Code 13-1-610
- State: means the State of South Carolina. See South Carolina Code 13-1-310
- trap and trace device: means a device which captures the incoming electronic or other impulses which identify the originating number of an instrument or device from which a wire or electronic communication was transmitted. See South Carolina Code 17-29-10