Terms Used In South Carolina Code > Title 17 > Chapter 29 - Pen Registers and Trap and Trace Devices
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Director: means the Director for the Division of Savannah Valley Development. See South Carolina Code 13-1-610
- Division: means the Division of Savannah Valley Development. See South Carolina Code 13-1-610
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Oath: A promise to tell the truth.
- pen register: means a device which records or decodes electronic or other impulses which identify the numbers dialed or otherwise transmitted on the telephone line to which the device is attached, but this term does not include any device used by a provider or customer of a wire or electronic communication service for billing, or recording as an incident to billing, for communications services provided by the provider, or any device used by a provider or customer of a wire communication service for cost accounting or other like purposes in the ordinary course of its business. See South Carolina Code 17-29-10
- Probable cause: A reasonable ground for belief that the offender violated a specific law.
- trap and trace device: means a device which captures the incoming electronic or other impulses which identify the originating number of an instrument or device from which a wire or electronic communication was transmitted. See South Carolina Code 17-29-10