|Chapter 2||Applications, Procedures, and Reports|
|Chapter 3||Duties of the Court|
|Chapter 4||Procedures Regarding Intercepted Communications|
|Chapter 5||Confidentiality of Disclosure, Remedies, and Offenses|
Terms Used In Indiana Code > Title 35 > Article 33.5
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- Allegation: something that someone says happened.
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Arrest: Taking physical custody of a person by lawful authority.
- Attorney: includes a counselor or other person authorized to appear and represent a party in an action or special proceeding. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Court reporter: A person who makes a word-for-word record of what is said in court and produces a transcript of the proceedings upon request.
- Criminal intelligence information: means information on identifiable individuals compiled in an effort to anticipate, prevent, or monitor possible criminal activity, including terrorist activity. See Indiana Code 5-2-4-1
- Criminal justice: includes activities concerning:
Indiana Code 5-2-6-1
- Criminal justice agency: means any agency or department of any level of government which performs as its principal function the apprehension, prosecution, adjudication, incarceration, or rehabilitation of criminal offenders, or location of parents with child support obligations under 42 U. See Indiana Code 5-2-4-1
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Discovery: Lawyers' examination, before trial, of facts and documents in possession of the opponents to help the lawyers prepare for trial.
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Grand jury: agreement providing that a lender will delay exercising its rights (in the case of a mortgage,
- in writing: include printing, lithographing, or other mode of representing words and letters. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Institute: means the Indiana criminal justice institute. See Indiana Code 5-2-6-1
- Juvenile justice: includes activities concerning:
Indiana Code 5-2-6-1
- Local governmental entities: include :
Indiana Code 5-2-6-1
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Omnibus Act: means the Omnibus Crime Control and Safe Streets Act of 1968 and any amendments made to that act. See Indiana Code 5-2-6-1
- Probable cause: A reasonable ground for belief that the offender violated a specific law.
- Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed.
- Property: includes personal and real property. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Reporter: Makes a record of court proceedings and prepares a transcript, and also publishes the court's opinions or decisions (in the courts of appeals).
- Sheriff: means the sheriff of the county or another person authorized to perform sheriff's duties. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Testimony: Evidence presented orally by witnesses during trials or before grand juries.
- Transcript: A written, word-for-word record of what was said, either in a proceeding such as a trial or during some other conversation, as in a transcript of a hearing or oral deposition.
- Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence.
- Trustees: refers to the board of trustees of the institute. See Indiana Code 5-2-6-1
- Year: means a calendar year, unless otherwise expressed. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5