|Article 2||Issuance of Shares|
|Article 3||Subsequent Acquisition of Shares by Shareholders and Corporation|
Terms Used In South Carolina Code > Title 33 > Chapter 6 - Shares and Distributions
- Account: means any of the three accounts created under Section 38-29-50. See South Carolina Code 38-29-20
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Annuity: means each contract or agreement to make periodic payments, whether in fixed or variable dollar amounts, or both, at specified intervals. See South Carolina Code 38-1-20
- Annuity: A periodic (usually annual) payment of a fixed sum of money for either the life of the recipient or for a fixed number of years. A series of payments under a contract from an insurance company, a trust company, or an individual. Annuity payments are made at regular intervals over a period of more than one full year.
- Appointment: means an individual designated by an official or authorized representative of an authorized insurer to act on its behalf as a producer. See South Carolina Code 38-1-20
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- Association: means the South Carolina Life and Accident and Health Insurance Guaranty Association created under Section 38-29-50. See South Carolina Code 38-29-20
- authorized: when used in the context of assessments means the board of directors has passed a resolution whereby an assessment will be called immediately or in the future from member insurers for a specified amount. See South Carolina Code 38-29-20
- Benefit plan: means a specific employee, union, or association of natural persons benefit plan. See South Carolina Code 38-29-20
- called: when used in the context of assessments means that notice has been issued by the association to the member insurers requiring that an authorized assessment be paid within the time frame set forth within the notice. See South Carolina Code 38-29-20
- Common law: The legal system that originated in England and is now in use in the United States. It is based on judicial decisions rather than legislative action.
- Consent: means agreement to administrative supervision by the insurer. See South Carolina Code 38-26-20
- Continuance: Putting off of a hearing ot trial until a later time.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- contract owner: means the person who is identified as the legal owner under the terms of the policy or contract or who is otherwise vested with legal title to the policy or contract through a valid assignment completed in accordance with the terms of the policy or contract and properly recorded as the owner on the books of the member insurer. See South Carolina Code 38-29-20
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Department: means the Department of Insurance of South Carolina. See South Carolina Code 38-1-20
- Dependent: A person dependent for support upon another.
- Deposition: An oral statement made before an officer authorized by law to administer oaths. Such statements are often taken to examine potential witnesses, to obtain discovery, or to be used later in trial.
- Director: means the person who is appointed by the Governor upon the advice and consent of the Senate and who is responsible for the operation and management of the department. See South Carolina Code 38-1-20
- Director: means the Director of the Department of Insurance. See South Carolina Code 38-29-20
- Domestic insurer: means an insurer incorporated or organized under the laws of this State. See South Carolina Code 38-1-20
- Escrow: Money given to a third party to be held for payment until certain conditions are met.
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Gift: A voluntary transfer or conveyance of property without consideration, or for less than full and adequate consideration based on fair market value.
- Impaired insurer: means a member insurer which, after the effective date of this chapter, is not an insolvent insurer but has been placed under an order of rehabilitation or conservation by a court of competent jurisdiction. See South Carolina Code 38-29-20
- Insolvent insurer: means a member insurer which, after the effective date of this chapter, is placed under an order of liquidation by a court of competent jurisdiction with a finding of insolvency. See South Carolina Code 38-29-20
- insurance: includes annuities. See South Carolina Code 38-1-20
- Insurer: includes a corporation, fraternal organization, burial association, other association, partnership, society, order, individual, or aggregation of individuals engaging or proposing or attempting to engage as principals in any kind of insurance or surety business, including the exchanging of reciprocal or interinsurance contracts between individuals, partnerships, and corporations. See South Carolina Code 38-1-20
- Insurer: means a person who has done, purports to do, is going to do, or is licensed to do an insurance business and is or has been subject to the authority of, or to liquidation, rehabilitation, reorganization, supervision, or conservation by the department, or similar entity, of a state. See South Carolina Code 38-26-20
- Intangible property: Property that has no intrinsic value, but is merely the evidence of value such as stock certificates, bonds, and promissory notes.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Liabilities: The aggregate of all debts and other legal obligations of a particular person or legal entity.
- License: means a document issued by the state's director or his designee authorizing a person to act as an insurance producer for the lines of authority specified in the document. See South Carolina Code 38-1-20
- Life insurance: means a contract of insurance upon the lives of human beings. See South Carolina Code 38-1-20
- Member insurer: means an insurer or health maintenance organization authorized to transact in this State any kind of insurance to which this chapter applies under Section 38-29-40. See South Carolina Code 38-29-20
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Person: means a corporation, agency, partnership, association, voluntary organization, individual, or another entity, organization, or aggregation of individuals. See South Carolina Code 38-1-20
- Person: means an individual, corporation, limited liability company, partnership, association, governmental body, or entity or voluntary organization. See South Carolina Code 38-29-20
- Plaintiff: The person who files the complaint in a civil lawsuit.
- Policy: means a contract of insurance. See South Carolina Code 38-1-20
- Premium: means payment given in consideration of a contract of insurance. See South Carolina Code 38-1-20
- Premiums: means amounts or considerations received on covered policies or contracts less returned premiums, considerations and deposits and less dividends and experience credits. See South Carolina Code 38-29-20
- Principal place of business: means the state in which a natural person who establishes policies or contracts for the direction, control, and coordination of the operations of the entity as a whole primarily exercises that function, determined by the association after consideration of the state in which the:
(a) primary executive and administrative headquarters of the entity is located;
(b) principal office of the chief executive officer of the entity is located;
(c) board of directors conducts the majority of its meetings;
(d) executive or management committee of the board of directors of the entity conducts the majority of its meetings;
(e) management of the overall operations of the entity is directed; and
(f) holding company or controlling affiliate has its principal place of business in the case of a benefit plan by affiliated companies comprising a consolidated corporation. See South Carolina Code 38-29-20
- Resident: means a person who resides in this State at the time the impairment as determined by a court of appropriate jurisdiction and to whom contractual obligations are owed. See South Carolina Code 38-29-20
- Settlement: Parties to a lawsuit resolve their difference without having a trial. Settlements often involve the payment of compensation by one party in satisfaction of the other party's claims.
- State: means a state, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and a United States' possession, territory, or protectorate. See South Carolina Code 38-29-20
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- Terminate: means the cancellation of the relationship between an insurance producer and the insurer or the termination of a producer's authority to transact insurance. See South Carolina Code 38-1-20
- Testimony: Evidence presented orally by witnesses during trials or before grand juries.
- Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence.
- Uniform Commercial Code: A set of statutes enacted by the various states to provide consistency among the states' commercial laws. It includes negotiable instruments, sales, stock transfers, trust and warehouse receipts, and bills of lading. Source: OCC