|Article 1||Vehicle Financial Security and Other Matters|
|Article 3||Insurance Requirements Relating to Motor Vehicle Registration|
|Article 5||Establishment of Uninsured Motorist Fund|
|Article 7||Motorist Insurance Database Program|
Terms Used In South Carolina Code > Title 56 > Chapter 10 - Motor Vehicle Registration and Financial Security
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Attorney-in-fact: A person who, acting as an agent, is given written authorization by another person to transact business for him (her) out of court.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Contractor: means designated agent or the party with which the Department of Motor Vehicles contracts pursuant to § 56-10-640. See South Carolina Code 56-10-620
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Database: means the motorist insurance database described in § 56-10-640. See South Carolina Code 56-10-620
- Department: means the Department of Motor Vehicles. See South Carolina Code 56-10-620
- Division: means the Department of Motor Vehicles. See South Carolina Code 56-10-620
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- insured motor vehicle: means a motor vehicle as to which there is maintained the security required by § 56-10-20. See South Carolina Code 56-10-210
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Power of attorney: A written instrument which authorizes one person to act as another's agent or attorney. The power of attorney may be for a definite, specific act, or it may be general in nature. The terms of the written power of attorney may specify when it will expire. If not, the power of attorney usually expires when the person granting it dies. Source: OCC
- Program: means the motorist insurance database program created in § 56-10-640. See South Carolina Code 56-10-620