Terms Used In South Dakota Codified Laws 40-32-25
- Dairy farm: any place or premise where one or more cows, sheep, or goats are kept and from which a part or all of the milk or milk products are produced and sold, or offered for sale to a milk plant. See South Dakota Codified Laws 40-32-2
- Grade A: any milk or milk product that complies with the standards set forth in any rules promulgated pursuant to § . See South Dakota Codified Laws 40-32-2
- Marketing organization: an entity established for the purpose of procuring farm produced milk and offering for sale that milk to a milk plant, receiving station, or transfer station. See South Dakota Codified Laws 40-32-2
- Milk plant: any place where milk or a milk product is delivered or processed for commercial purposes. See South Dakota Codified Laws 40-32-2
- Month: a calendar month. See South Dakota Codified Laws 2-14-2
- Secretary: the secretary of agriculture. See South Dakota Codified Laws 40-32-2
A milk plant or marketing organization of milk, milk products, sheep milk, or goat milk that processes or markets Manufacturing Grade or Grade A milk shall pay an inspection service fee for each dairy farm. The inspection fee shall be one hundred dollars per Grade A or fifty dollars per Manufacturing Grade dairy farm and be paid semiannually by July first and January first to the secretary. In addition, beginning on January 1, 2010, each milk buyer shall pay a monthly raw milk assessment fee on all milk purchased from South Dakota producers, which shall be paid by the beginning of each month to the secretary. The secretary of agriculture shall promulgate rules pursuant to chapter 1-26 to establish the raw milk assessment fee which may not exceed one cent per hundredweight on all milk purchased.