Tennessee Code 48-17-102 – Special Meeting
Current as of: 2021 | Check for updates | Other versions
- A corporation shall hold a special meeting of shareholders:
- On call of its board of directors or the person or persons authorized to do so by the charter or bylaws; or
- Unless the charter otherwise provides, if the holders of at least ten percent (10%) of all the votes entitled to be cast on any issue proposed to be considered at the proposed special meeting sign, date, and deliver to the corporation’s secretary one (1) or more written demands for the meeting describing the purpose or purposes for which it is to be held.
- board of directors: means the governing board of a corporation, whether denominated the board of directors or otherwise, except that no person or group of persons is the board of directors because of powers delegated to that person or group pursuant to §. See Tennessee Code 48-51-201
- Business: includes every trade, occupation, profession, investment activity and other lawful purpose for gain or the preservation of assets whether or not carried on for profits. See Tennessee Code 48-202-101
- Bylaws: means the code or codes of rules (other than the charter) adopted pursuant to Chapters 51 68 of this title for the regulation or management of the affairs of the corporation irrespective of the name or names by which such rules are designated. See Tennessee Code 48-51-201
- Charter: includes amended and restated charters and articles of merger. See Tennessee Code 48-11-201
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Person: includes individual and entity. See Tennessee Code 48-202-101
- Principal office: means the office (in or out of this state) so designated in the annual report where the principal executive offices of a domestic or foreign corporation are located. See Tennessee Code 48-11-201
- Record date: means the date established under chapter 16 or 17 on which a corporation determines the identity of its shareholders for purposes of Chapters 11 27 of this title. See Tennessee Code 48-11-201
- Secretary: means the corporate officer to whom the bylaws or the board of directors has delegated responsibility under §. See Tennessee Code 48-11-201
- Shareholder: means the person in whose name shares are registered in the records of a corporation or the beneficial owner of shares to the extent of the rights granted by a nominee certificate on file with a corporation. See Tennessee Code 48-11-201
- State: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the several territories of the United States. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- written: means any information in the form of a document. See Tennessee Code 48-11-201
- If not otherwise fixed under § 48-17-103 or § 48-17-107, the record date for determining shareholders entitled to demand a special meeting is the date the first shareholder signs the demand.
- Special shareholders’ meetings may be held in or out of this state at the place stated in or fixed in accordance with the bylaws. If no place is stated or fixed in accordance with the bylaws, special meetings shall be held at the corporation’s principal office.
- Only business within the purpose or purposes described in the meeting notice required by § 48-17-105(c) may be conducted at a special shareholders’ meeting.
Terms Used In Tennessee Code 48-17-102