(a) The governor may direct any or all of the departments and agencies of the state to conduct studies or otherwise obtain competent guidance as to the need, if any, for changes in the laws and regulations administered by it that would arise from the presence within the state of special nuclear by-product, and radioactive materials, from the operation therein of production or utilization facilities, and from the generation of radiation, and, on the basis of such studies or guidance, to make such recommendations for the enactment of laws or amendments to laws administered by them, and to promulgate such amendments to the regulations issued by them, as may appear necessary and appropriate.
Terms Used In Tennessee Code 68-202-103
- Atomic energy: means all forms of energy released in the course of nuclear fission or nuclear transformation. See Tennessee Code 68-202-101
- Radiation: means gamma rays and X-rays, alpha and beta particles, high-speed electrons, neutrons, protons, and other nuclear particles, but not sound or radio waves or visible, infrared, or ultraviolet light. See Tennessee Code 68-202-101
- Special nuclear material: means :
(A) Plutonium and uranium enriched in the isotope 233 or in the isotope 235, and any other material which the governor declares by order to be special nuclear material after the United States atomic energy commission has determined the material to be such. See Tennessee Code 68-202-101
- United States: includes the District of Columbia and the several territories of the United States. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- written: includes printing, typewriting, engraving, lithography, and any other mode of representing words and letters. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
(b) The governor is authorized, at the governor’s discretion, to enter into a written agreement or agreements with the atomic energy commission or other agencies of the government of the United States relating to the regulation of by-products, source materials, or special nuclear material and other material within the scope of this part.