|Part 2||Tennessee Retail Food Safety Act||53-8-201 – 53-8-223|
Terms Used In Tennessee Code > Title 53 > Chapter 8
- Agriculture: means :
(i) The land, buildings and machinery used in the commercial production of farm products and nursery stock. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- Code: includes the Tennessee Code and all amendments and revisions to the code and all additions and supplements to the code. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- Commissioner: means the commissioner of agriculture, the commissioner's duly authorized representative, and in the event of the commissioner's absence or vacancy in the office of commissioner, the deputy commissioner. See Tennessee Code 53-8-203
- Continuance: Putting off of a hearing ot trial until a later time.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Department: means the department of agriculture. See Tennessee Code 53-8-203
- Employee: means a person:
(A) In charge of a food establishment. See Tennessee Code 53-8-203
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Farm to consumer distribution point: means a temporary or permanent location, that is not open to the general public, where a farmer or the farmer's agent delivers food, produced by the farmer and previously sold under an agreement entered into between the farmer and the consumer, directly to the consumer or the consumer's agent. See Tennessee Code 53-8-203
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Food Code: means the 2009 Food Code as published by the United States department of health and human services, public health service, food and drug administration. See Tennessee Code 53-8-203
- Food establishments: means retail food stores, and food service establishments located within retail food stores. See Tennessee Code 53-8-203
- Food service establishment: includes places identified in subdivision (10)(A), regardless of whether there is a charge for the food. See Tennessee Code 53-8-203
- Imminent health hazard: means any condition, deficiency, or practice that, if not corrected, is very likely to result in illness, injury, or loss of life to any person. See Tennessee Code 53-8-203
- infrequent casual sales: means sales not in excess of one hundred fifty dollars ($150) per day on any particular day. See Tennessee Code 53-8-203
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Oversight: Committee review of the activities of a Federal agency or program.
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Person: means any individual, partnership, firm, corporation, agency, municipality, state or political subdivision, or the federal government and its agencies and departments. See Tennessee Code 53-8-203
- Person in charge: means an individual present at a food establishment who is responsible for the operation at the time of inspection. See Tennessee Code 53-8-203
- Record: means information that is inscribed on a tangible medium or that is stored in an electronic or other medium and is retrievable in a perceivable form. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- Representative: when applied to those who represent a decedent, includes executors and administrators, unless the context implies heirs and distributees. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- Retail food store: means any establishment or a section of an establishment where food and food products are offered to the consumer and intended for off-premise consumption. See Tennessee Code 53-8-203
- State: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the several territories of the United States. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence.
- United States: includes the District of Columbia and the several territories of the United States. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- written: includes printing, typewriting, engraving, lithography, and any other mode of representing words and letters. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- Year: means a calendar year, unless otherwise expressed. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105