|Part 1||Tax Return Preparer Act of 1969||62-29-101 – 62-29-106|
|Part 2||Refund Anticipation Loans||62-29-201 – 62-29-205|
Terms Used In Tennessee Code > Title 62 > Chapter 29
- Annual percentage rate: The cost of credit at a yearly rate. It is calculated in a standard way, taking the average compound interest rate over the term of the loan so borrowers can compare loans. Lenders are required by law to disclose a card account's APR. Source: FDIC
- Applicant: means a customer who applies for a refund anticipation loan through a facilitator. See Tennessee Code 62-29-201
- Borrower: means an applicant who receives a refund anticipation loan through a facilitator. See Tennessee Code 62-29-201
- Child: means a person who is under eighteen (18) years of age or who is reasonably presumed to be under eighteen (18) years of age. See Tennessee Code 37-1-401
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Custodian: means a person, other than a parent or legal guardian, who stands in loco parentis to the child or a person to whom temporary legal custody of the child has been given by order of a court. See Tennessee Code 37-1-102
- Custody: means the control of actual physical care of the child and includes the right and responsibility to provide for the physical, mental, moral and emotional well-being of the child. See Tennessee Code 37-1-102
- Customer: means an individual for whom tax preparation services are performed. See Tennessee Code 62-29-201
- Department: means the department of children's services. See Tennessee Code 37-1-401
- Facilitator: means a person who receives or accepts for delivery an application for a refund anticipation loan, delivers a check in payment of refund anticipation loan proceeds or in any other manner acts to allow the making of a refund anticipation loan. See Tennessee Code 62-29-201
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Juvenile court: means the general sessions court in all counties of this state, except in those counties and municipalities in which special juvenile courts are provided by law, and "judge" means judge of the juvenile court. See Tennessee Code 37-1-102
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Person: includes a corporation, firm, company or association. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- Person: means a natural person, corporation, association, partnership or any organized group of persons. See Tennessee Code 62-29-102
- Person: means an individual, a firm, a proprietorship, an association, a corporation or another entity. See Tennessee Code 62-29-201
- Preparer of tax returns: means a person who, in consideration of compensation received or to be received by the person, offers to perform or holds that person out to perform services for residents or taxpayers of this state that involve advice concerning the preparation of returns required under state law, except the tax on income. See Tennessee Code 62-29-102
- Refund anticipation loan: means a loan, whether provided through a facilitator or by another entity such as a financial institution, in anticipation of and whose payment is secured by a customer's federal or state income tax refund, or by both. See Tennessee Code 62-29-201
- Refund anticipation loan fee: means any fee, charge or other consideration imposed by a lender or a facilitator for a refund anticipation loan. See Tennessee Code 62-29-201
- Report of harm: means a report filed under §. See Tennessee Code 37-1-401
- Representative: when applied to those who represent a decedent, includes executors and administrators, unless the context implies heirs and distributees. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- Settlement: Parties to a lawsuit resolve their difference without having a trial. Settlements often involve the payment of compensation by one party in satisfaction of the other party's claims.
- Severe child abuse: means :
(i) The knowing exposure of a child to or the knowing failure to protect a child from abuse or neglect that is likely to cause serious bodily injury or death and the knowing use of force on a child that is likely to cause serious bodily injury or death. See Tennessee Code 37-1-102
- State: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the several territories of the United States. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- Tax return: means a return, declaration, statement, refund claim or other document required to be made or filed in connection with state or federal income taxes. See Tennessee Code 62-29-201
- Testimony: Evidence presented orally by witnesses during trials or before grand juries.
- Truth in Lending Act: The Truth in Lending Act is a federal law that requires lenders to provide standardized information so that borrowers can compare loan terms. In general, lenders must provide information on Source: OCC
- United States: includes the District of Columbia and the several territories of the United States. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105
- written: includes printing, typewriting, engraving, lithography, and any other mode of representing words and letters. See Tennessee Code 1-3-105