Terms Used In Tennessee Code > Title 65 > Chapter 34
- Act: means a bodily movement, whether voluntary or involuntary, and includes speech. See Tennessee Code 39-16-401
- Arrest: Taking physical custody of a person by lawful authority.
- Benefit: means anything reasonably regarded as economic gain, enhancement or advantage, including benefit to any other person in whose welfare the beneficiary is interested. See Tennessee Code 39-11-106
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Current geographic territory: means the parcels of land, as such parcels are defined or designated by the assessor of property of the county in which the parcels are located, to which a public electric system was providing electric service on February 16, 1989. See Tennessee Code 65-34-102
- Defendant: means a person accused of an offense under this title and includes any person who aids or abets the commission of such offense. See Tennessee Code 39-11-106
- Electric and community service cooperative: has the meaning set forth in §. See Tennessee Code 65-34-102
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Harm: means anything reasonably regarded as loss, disadvantage or injury, including harm to another person in whose welfare the person affected is interested. See Tennessee Code 39-11-106
- Indictment: The formal charge issued by a grand jury stating that there is enough evidence that the defendant committed the crime to justify having a trial; it is used primarily for felonies.
- Law: means the constitution or a statute of this state or of the United States, a written opinion of a court of record, a municipal ordinance, or a rule authorized by and lawfully adopted under a statute. See Tennessee Code 39-16-401
- Law enforcement officer: means an officer, employee or agent of government who has a duty imposed by law to:
(A) Maintain public order. See Tennessee Code 39-11-106
- Municipal electric system: means any electric system owned by any county, municipality, power district, or other subdivision of Tennessee. See Tennessee Code 65-34-102
- Non-consumer owned electric system: means any public electric system other than electric and community service cooperatives and municipal electric systems. See Tennessee Code 65-34-102
- Obtain: includes , but is not limited to, the taking, carrying away or the sale, conveyance or transfer of title to or interest in or possession of property, and includes, but is not limited to, conduct known as larceny, larceny by trick, larceny by conversion, embezzlement, extortion or obtaining property by false pretenses. See Tennessee Code 39-11-106
- Person: includes the singular and the plural and means and includes any individual, firm, partnership, copartnership, association, corporation, governmental subdivision or agency, or other organization or other legal entity, or any agent or servant thereof. See Tennessee Code 39-11-106
- Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed.
- Property: means anything of value, including, but not limited to, money, real estate, tangible or intangible personal property, including anything severed from land, library material, contract rights, choses-in-action, interests in or claims to wealth, credit, admission or transportation tickets, captured or domestic animals, food and drink, electric or other power. See Tennessee Code 39-11-106
- Public electric system: includes electric and community service cooperatives, municipal electric systems, and every individual, co-partnership, association, corporation or joint stock company, their lessees, trustees or receivers, appointed by any court whatsoever, that own, operate, manage, or control any electric power system, plant, or equipment within Tennessee affected by and dedicated to public use. See Tennessee Code 65-34-102
- Public servant: means a person elected, selected, appointed, employed, or otherwise designated as one (1) of the following even if the public servant has not yet qualified for office or assumed the duties:
(A) An officer, employee, or agent of government. See Tennessee Code 39-16-401
- Restitution: The court-ordered payment of money by the defendant to the victim for damages caused by the criminal action.
- Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence.