Terms Used In Texas Human Resources Code > Title 3 > Subtitle D
- Business: means a trade, occupation, profession, or other commercial activity. See Texas Business Organizations Code 1.002
- Corporation: means an entity governed as a corporation under Title 2 or 7. See Texas Business Organizations Code 1.002
- Director: means an individual who serves on the board of directors of a foreign or domestic corporation. See Texas Business Organizations Code 1.002
- Equitable: Pertaining to civil suits in "equity" rather than in "law." In English legal history, the courts of "law" could order the payment of damages and could afford no other remedy. See damages. A separate court of "equity" could order someone to do something or to cease to do something. See, e.g., injunction. In American jurisprudence, the federal courts have both legal and equitable power, but the distinction is still an important one. For example, a trial by jury is normally available in "law" cases but not in "equity" cases. Source: U.S. Courts
- Foreclosure: A legal process in which property that is collateral or security for a loan may be sold to help repay the loan when the loan is in default. Source: OCC
- Governing documents: means :
(A) in the case of a domestic entity:
(i) the certificate of formation for a domestic filing entity or the document or agreement under which a domestic nonfiling entity is formed; and
(ii) the other documents or agreements adopted by the entity under this code to govern the formation or the internal affairs of the entity; or
(B) in the case of a foreign entity, the instruments, documents, or agreements adopted under the law of its jurisdiction of formation to govern the formation or the internal affairs of the entity. See Texas Business Organizations Code 1.002
- Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt.
- Mortgage: The written agreement pledging property to a creditor as collateral for a loan.
- Officer: means an individual elected, appointed, or designated as an officer of an entity by the entity's governing authority or under the entity's governing documents. See Texas Business Organizations Code 1.002
- Person: means an individual or a corporation, partnership, limited liability company, business trust, trust, association, or other organization, estate, government or governmental subdivision or agency, or other legal entity, or a series of a domestic limited liability company or foreign entity. See Texas Business Organizations Code 1.002
- Probate: Proving a will
- Statute of limitations: A law that sets the time within which parties must take action to enforce their rights.