Terms Used In Utah Code > Title 15 > Chapter 8
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Authority: means the Utah Inland Port Authority, created in Section 11-58-201. See Utah Code 11-58-102
- Authority jurisdictional land: means land within the authority boundary delineated:
(a) in the electronic shapefile that is the electronic component of H. See Utah Code 11-58-102
- Base taxable value: means :
(a) (i) except as provided in Subsection (3)(a)(ii), for a project area that consists of the authority jurisdictional land, the taxable value of authority jurisdictional land in calendar year 2018; and (ii) for an area described in Subsection 11-58-601(5), the taxable value of that area in calendar year 2017; or (b) for a project area that consists of land outside the authority jurisdictional land, the taxable value of property within any portion of a project area, as designated by board resolution, from which the property tax differential will be collected, as shown upon the assessment roll last equalized before the year in which the authority adopts a project area plan for that area. See Utah Code 11-58-102
- Board: means the authority's governing body, created in Section 11-58-301. See Utah Code 11-58-102
- Business plan: means a plan designed to facilitate, encourage, and bring about development of the authority jurisdictional land to achieve the goals and objectives described in Subsection 11-58-203(1), including the development and establishment of an inland port. See Utah Code 11-58-102
- Cash price: means the price at which the lessor would have sold the property to the consumer for cash on the date of the rental purchase agreement. See Utah Code 15-8-3
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Consumer: means a natural person who rents personal property under a rental purchase agreement to be used primarily for personal, family, or household purposes. See Utah Code 15-8-3
- Consummation: means the time at which a consumer becomes contractually obligated on a rental purchase agreement. See Utah Code 15-8-3
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Counterclaim: A claim that a defendant makes against a plaintiff.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Deed: The legal instrument used to transfer title in real property from one person to another.
- Development: means :
(a) the demolition, construction, reconstruction, modification, expansion, or improvement of a building, utility, infrastructure, landscape, parking lot, park, trail, recreational amenity, or other facility, including publicly owned infrastructure and improvements; and (b) the planning of, arranging for, or participation in any of the activities listed in Subsection (6)(a). See Utah Code 11-58-102
- Development project: means a project for the development of land within a project area. See Utah Code 11-58-102
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Fair market value: The price at which an asset would change hands in a transaction between a willing, informed buyer and a willing, informed seller.
- Intermodal facility: means a hub or other facility for trade combining any combination of rail, trucking, air cargo, and other transportation services. See Utah Code 11-58-102
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Land: includes :Utah Code 68-3-12.5
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Lessor: means a person who regularly provides the use of property through rental purchase agreements and to whom rental payments are initially payable on the face of a rental purchase agreement. See Utah Code 15-8-3
- Mortgage: The written agreement pledging property to a creditor as collateral for a loan.
- Nonvoting member: means an individual appointed as a member of the board under Subsection 11-58-302(6) who does not have the power to vote on matters of authority business. See Utah Code 11-58-102
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- Person: means :Utah Code 68-3-12.5
- Personal property: includes :Utah Code 68-3-12.5
- Process: means a writ or summons issued in the course of a judicial proceeding. See Utah Code 68-3-12.5
- Project area: means :
(a) the authority jurisdictional land; or (b) land outside the authority jurisdictional land, whether consisting of a single contiguous area or multiple noncontiguous areas, described in a project area plan or draft project area plan, where the development project set forth in the project area plan or draft project area plan takes place or is proposed to take place. See Utah Code 11-58-102
- Project area budget: means a multiyear projection of annual or cumulative revenues and expenses and other fiscal matters pertaining to the project area. See Utah Code 11-58-102
- Project area plan: means a written plan that, after its effective date, guides and controls the development within a project area. See Utah Code 11-58-102
- Property: includes both real and personal property. See Utah Code 68-3-12.5
- Property tax: includes a privilege tax and each levy on an ad valorem basis on tangible or intangible personal or real property. See Utah Code 11-58-102
- Public entity: means :
(a) the state, including each department, division, or other agency of the state; or (b) a county, city, town, metro township, school district, local district, special service district, interlocal cooperation entity, community reinvestment agency, or other political subdivision of the state. See Utah Code 11-58-102
- real property: includes :Utah Code 68-3-12.5
- Rental purchase agreement: means an agreement for the use of personal property by a natural person primarily for personal, family, or household purposes for an initial period of four months or less that is automatically renewable with each payment after the initial period, but which does not obligate or require the consumer to continue renting or using the property beyond the initial period, and that permits the consumer to become the owner of the property. See Utah Code 15-8-3
- Signature: includes a name, mark, or sign written with the intent to authenticate an instrument or writing. See Utah Code 68-3-12.5
- State: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes a state, district, or territory of the United States. See Utah Code 68-3-12.5
- Taxing entity: means a public entity that levies a tax on property within a project area. See Utah Code 11-58-102
- Voting member: means an individual appointed or designated as a member of the board under Subsection 11-58-302(2). See Utah Code 11-58-102
- Writing: includes :Utah Code 68-3-12.5
- Base taxable value: means :