|§ 59.1-520||Rider conduct; reports|
|§ 59.1-521||Duty of parent or guardian|
|§ 59.1-522||Owner or operator duty to post|
|§ 59.1-523||Enforcement; civil penalties; limitation|
|§ 59.1-524||Common law doctrines not affected|
Terms Used In Virginia Code > Title 59.1 > Chapter 45
- Amusement device: means (i) a device or structure open to the public by which persons are conveyed or moved in an unusual manner for diversion and (ii) a device suspended in the air by the use of steel cables, chains, belts, or ropes, and usually supported by trestles or towers with one or more spans, also known as a passenger tramway, used to transport passengers uphill. See Virginia Code 59.1-519
- Board: means the Board of Medicine. See Virginia Code 54.1-2900
- City: means an independent incorporated community which became a city as provided by law before noon on July 1, 1971, or which has within defined boundaries a population of 5,000 or more and which has become a city as provided by law. See Virginia Code 1-208
- Common law: The legal system that originated in England and is now in use in the United States. It is based on judicial decisions rather than legislative action.
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- Healing arts: means the arts and sciences dealing with the prevention, diagnosis, treatment and cure or alleviation of human physical or mental ailments, conditions, diseases, pain or infirmities. See Virginia Code 54.1-2900
- in writing: include any representation of words, letters, symbols, numbers, or figures, whether (i) printed or inscribed on a tangible medium or (ii) stored in an electronic or other medium and retrievable in a perceivable form and whether an electronic signature authorized by Chapter 42. See Virginia Code 1-257
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Oath: includes affirmation. See Virginia Code 1-228
- Operator: means the entity listed as operator on the Certificate of Inspection issued for the amusement device pursuant to § 36-98. See Virginia Code 59.1-519
- Owner: means the entity listed as owner on the Certificate of Inspection issued for the amusement device pursuant to § 36-98. See Virginia Code 59.1-519
- Parent or guardian: means any parent, guardian, legal custodian or other person having immediate control or charge of a child. See Virginia Code 59.1-519
- Person: includes any individual, corporation, partnership, association, cooperative, limited liability company, trust, joint venture, government, political subdivision, or any other legal or commercial entity and any successor, representative, agent, agency, or instrumentality thereof. See Virginia Code 1-230
- Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed.
- Rider: means any person who is (i) waiting in the immediate vicinity to get on an amusement device; (ii) getting on an amusement device; (iii) using an amusement device; (iv) getting off an amusement device; or (v) leaving an amusement device and still in its immediate vicinity. See Virginia Code 59.1-519
- School board: means the school board that governs a school division. See Virginia Code 22.1-1
- State: when applied to a part of the United States, includes any of the 50 states, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, and the United States Virgin Islands. See Virginia Code 1-245
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- Summons: Another word for subpoena used by the criminal justice system.
- Town: means any existing town or an incorporated community within one or more counties which became a town before noon, July 1, 1971, as provided by law or which has within defined boundaries a population of 1,000 or more and which has become a town as provided by law. See Virginia Code 1-254
- United States: includes the 50 states, the District of Columbia the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands and the United States Virgin Islands. See Virginia Code 1-255