The definitions in this section apply throughout this chapter unless the context clearly requires otherwise.
Terms Used In Washington Code 19.80.005
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- person: may be construed to include the United States, this state, or any state or territory, or any public or private corporation or limited liability company, as well as an individual. See Washington Code 1.16.080
(1) “Business” means an occupation, profession, or employment engaged in for the purpose of seeking a profit.
(2) “Department” means the department of revenue.
(3) “Person” means any individual, partnership, limited liability company, or corporation conducting or having an interest in a business in the state.
(4) “Trade name” means a word or name, or any combination of a word or name, used by a person to identify the person’s business which:
(a) Is not, or does not include, the true and real name of all persons conducting the business; or
(b) Includes words which suggest additional parties of interest such as “company,” “and sons,” or “and associates.”
(5) “True and real name” means:
(a) The surname of an individual coupled with one or more of the individual’s other names, one or more of the individual’s initials, or any combination;
(b) The designation or appellation by which an individual is best known and called in the business community where that individual transacts business, if this is used as that individual’s legal signature;
(c) The registered corporate name of a domestic corporation as filed with the secretary of state;
(d) The registered corporate name of a foreign corporation authorized to do business within the state of Washington as filed with the secretary of state;
(e) The registered partnership name of a domestic limited partnership as filed with the secretary of state;
(f) The registered partnership name of a foreign limited partnership as filed with the secretary of state; or
(g) The name of a general partnership which includes in its name the true and real names, as defined in (a) through (f) of this subsection, of each general partner as required in RCW 19.80.010.
Reviser’s note: The definitions in this section have been alphabetized pursuant to RCW 1.08.015(2)(k).
Purpose—Intent—Agency transfer—Contracting—Effective date—2011 c 298: See notes following RCW 19.02.020.
Effective date—1984 c 130: See note following RCW 19.80.001.