(1) A board of directors may approve and the corporation may make distributions to its shareholders subject to restriction by the articles of incorporation and the limitation in subsection (2) of this section.
Terms Used In Washington Code 23B.06.400
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Liabilities: The aggregate of all debts and other legal obligations of a particular person or legal entity.
(2) No distribution may be made if, after giving it effect:
(a) The corporation would not be able to pay its liabilities as they become due in the usual course of business; or
(b) The corporation’s total assets would be less than the sum of its total liabilities plus, unless the articles of incorporation permit otherwise, the amount that would be needed, if the corporation were to be dissolved at the time of the distribution, to satisfy the preferential rights upon dissolution of shareholders whose preferential rights are superior to those receiving the distribution.
(3) For purposes of determinations under subsection (2) of this section:
(a) The board of directors may base a determination that a distribution is not prohibited under subsection (2) of this section either on financial statements prepared on the basis of accounting practices and principles that are reasonable in the circumstances or on a fair valuation or other method that is reasonable in the circumstances; and
(b) Indebtedness of a corporation, including indebtedness issued as a distribution, is not considered a liability if its terms provide that payment of principal and interest are made only if and to the extent that payment of a distribution to shareholders could then be made under this section.
(4) The effect of a distribution under subsection (2) of this section is measured:
(a) In the case of a distribution of indebtedness, the terms of which provide that payment of principal and interest are made only if and to the extent that payment of a distribution to shareholders could then be made under this section, each payment of principal or interest is treated as a distribution, the effect of which is measured on the date the payment is actually made; or
(b) In the case of any other distribution:
(i) If the distribution is by purchase, redemption, or other acquisition of the corporation’s shares, the effect of the distribution is measured as of the earlier of the date any money or other property is transferred or debt incurred by the corporation, or the date the shareholder ceases to be a shareholder with respect to the acquired shares;
(ii) If the distribution is of indebtedness other than that described in subsection (4) (a) and (b)(i) of this section, the effect of the distribution is measured as of the date the indebtedness is distributed; and
(iii) In all other cases, the effect of the distribution is measured as of the date the distribution is approved if payment occurs within one hundred twenty days after the date of approval, or the date the payment is made if it occurs more than one hundred twenty days after the date of approval.
(5) A corporation’s indebtedness to a shareholder incurred by reason of a distribution made in accordance with this section is at parity with the corporation’s indebtedness to its general, unsecured creditors except to the extent provided otherwise by agreement.
(6) In circumstances to which this section and related sections of this title are applicable, such provisions supersede the applicability of any other statutes of this state with respect to the legality of distributions.
(7) A transfer of the assets of a dissolved corporation to a trust or other successor entity of the type described in RCW 23B.14.030(4) constitutes a distribution subject to subsection (2) of this section only when and to the extent that the trust or successor entity distributes assets to shareholders.
Effective date—1990 c 178: See note following RCW 23B.01.220.