(1) It is unlawful for any person to receive with intent to sell to a research institution in the state of Washington, or sell or otherwise directly transfer to a research institution in the state of Washington, a pet animal that the person knows or has reason to know has been stolen or fraudulently obtained. This section does not apply to U.S.D.A. licensed dealers.
Terms Used In Washington Code 9.08.072
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- person: may be construed to include the United States, this state, or any state or territory, or any public or private corporation or limited liability company, as well as an individual. See Washington Code 1.16.080
(2) The first conviction under this section is a gross misdemeanor punishable according to chapter 9A.20 RCW and, for adult offenders, a mandatory fine of not less than five hundred dollars per pet animal shall be imposed.
(3) A second or subsequent conviction under this section is a class C felony punishable according to chapter 9A.20 RCW and, for adult offenders, a mandatory fine of not less than one thousand dollars per pet animal shall be imposed.
Finding—Intent—2015 c 265: See note following RCW 13.50.010.
Intent—Effective date—2003 c 53: See notes following RCW 2.48.180.