(1) It is unlawful for any person, who knows or has reason to know that a pet animal has been stolen or fraudulently obtained, to sell or otherwise transfer the pet animal to another who the person knows or has reason to know has previously sold a stolen or fraudulently obtained pet animal to a research institution in the state of Washington.
Terms Used In Washington Code 9.08.074
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- person: may be construed to include the United States, this state, or any state or territory, or any public or private corporation or limited liability company, as well as an individual. See Washington Code 1.16.080
(2) A conviction under this section is a class C felony punishable according to chapter 9A.20 RCW and by a mandatory fine of not less than one thousand dollars per pet animal.
Intent—Effective date—2003 c 53: See notes following RCW 2.48.180.